Completely stumped...wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yea mine is 2 gallons of 3 year old gas and 2 gallons of fresh gas. haha maybe some fuel injectors may work out. ill keep you updated. im thinking of taking the engine out again and just installing the cams myself. aslo about to buy a skunk2 intake mani and some cams. got any recommendations for people or places selling some?

Yea so guys I just got out on spring break and I also took off work to solve this problem.

I took out my motor once again but before I did I tried to start it with some carb cleaner and starting fluid. Didnt seem like it did anything. no sputtering no nothing just cranking with no signs or starting. Im guessing since it wont even start with starting fluid it has to be either electrical or timing. timing seems like its on esp since i havnt changed anything in that area and it ran perfect before the swap. ANy ideas on where it could be messing up electrically? I get spark, fuel and of course air... grounded wires are connected at the fuse box, valve cover, tranny and at the radiator sensor. will any incorrectly wired sensors prevent from starting the car up?? Thanks this has been killing me non stop..

how can i check the crank pulley mark with the motor inside? i dont think i can fit the ratchet in there?
use some long all extenders, crank pulley mark looks like a lasered indention. You get any spark yet? you need spark first and formost.

Yeah I have spark coming out on all 4 plugs when out and grounded.
Let me bring you up to speed. Spark is good, Air is good of course, Fuel doesnt seem to be the initial problem because it refused to start up with starting fluid. (plus let me remind you both motors were running perfectly before the swap which should have only taken a week but now running on 2 months) Only guess is electrical or timing but then again i havent touched its timing. I have the motor out again now and im rewiring it up and checking to see if i missed anything. this is why im stumped.

Unless the shift linkage in which i didnt hook up has a ground on it im sure i wired it up correctly.

Yeah I have spark coming out on all 4 plugs when out and grounded.
Let me bring you up to speed. Spark is good, Air is good of course, Fuel doesnt seem to be the initial problem because it refused to start up with starting fluid. (plus let me remind you both motors were running perfectly before the swap which should have only taken a week but now running on 2 months) Only guess is electrical or timing but then again i havent touched its timing. I have the motor out again now and im rewiring it up and checking to see if i missed anything. this is why im stumped.

Unless the shift linkage in which i didnt hook up has a ground on it im sure i wired it up correctly.
yea i feel you i had the same problem when i did my swap, so you got fuel? meaning when you turn your key you can hear the fuel pump priming and then a click, you got spark on all four wire meaning that the engine is turning over smoothly and not rough, air of course.

What happened with me was
#1 the engine wasnt turning over or anything just dead.
what i did was found all of the things that needed to be grounded and sander down the surface and blasted it with carb cleaner. and the motor started turning over.
just like you i didnt touch my timing and it was strait on. the little tick thingy on your underdrive or crankpully should match up with the tick on the "forgot the pulley but you will see it" the arrows on your cam gear facing eachother. when you rotate the crank be shure to note the compression it will be hard to turn and sometimes easy to turn and you are playing with it.

#2 my distributor wires were bad so i just went ahead and bought a whole new distributor, wires, etc and it started up?

also if it isnt turning over check your starter/gound

Yea so guys I just got out on spring break and I also took off work to solve this problem.

I took out my motor once again but before I did I tried to start it with some carb cleaner and starting fluid. Didnt seem like it did anything. no sputtering no nothing just cranking with no signs or starting. Im guessing since it wont even start with starting fluid it has to be either electrical or timing. timing seems like its on esp since i havnt changed anything in that area and it ran perfect before the swap. ANy ideas on where it could be messing up electrically? I get spark, fuel and of course air... grounded wires are connected at the fuse box, valve cover, tranny and at the radiator sensor. will any incorrectly wired sensors prevent from starting the car up?? Thanks this has been killing me non stop..

Fuel injectors, to follow up what i already wrote, my fuel injected were clogged due to the motor i bought sitting over the years, and it would crank but not start. i bet thats your problem

yeah i just got back inside. couldnt get the crank pulley bolt off while the motor was out. Fuel injectors i dont think clogged because i could smell the fuel on the spark plugs when i first installed it (about a 2 weeks from when i pulled it out of the donor). the ground wires i just checked and it seems clean because i cleaned the motor up when i first pulled it out. Im about to put it back in after rewiring the IAT sensor because i found that i wired it wrong.

my car btw cranks and the battery and starter sound perfect but the motor just shows no sign of starting. no sputtering no back fire nothing... thats why i tried starter fluid and trying to find out what could be the problem when the car ran fine before hand..

yeah i just got back inside. couldnt get the crank pulley bolt off while the motor was out. Fuel injectors i dont think clogged because i could smell the fuel on the spark plugs when i first installed it (about a 2 weeks from when i pulled it out of the donor). the ground wires i just checked and it seems clean because i cleaned the motor up when i first pulled it out. Im about to put it back in after rewiring the IAT sensor because i found that i wired it wrong.

my car btw cranks and the battery and starter sound perfect but the motor just shows no sign of starting. no sputtering no back fire nothing... thats why i tried starter fluid and trying to find out what could be the problem when the car ran fine before hand..

yea this is a toughie =/, hope you figure it out soon i know exactly how you feel.

Yea man its been killing me so i decided to lay off it awhile and concentrate on school and work. now that its spring break and im not going anywhere ive dedicated the week to finding out what the heck is wrong with it. Maybe the motor needs a hug or something...i dunno ill try anything. Im hoping maybe the ground wires had a bit of dirt on them so ill take em off and clean again. Thanks man if you have any other ideas im open to them.

yeah im running an obd1 ecu and obd1 dist. im drawing a blank on the ecu number but it works because it was in the 92 hatch along with this obd1 motor. why you ask?

Now you may be getting fuel to the rail but are your injectors pulsing and opening? I am starting to feel an electrical problem or extreme fuel rail/filter cloggage. I mean, these aren't common things at all but we are outside of the realm of the usual suspects and easy fixes and moving towards the type of problem that makes a great story...

good to hear from you again. Yeah i am thinking electrical so i took the motor out once again and cleaned off any ground wire sites and rewired the sensors that were throwing cel. I dont know about the cloggage because wouldnt the engine start on starting fluid? my spring break is ending soon and i still have all the paperwork to fill out for the registration so im dying to solve this story. yeah im gonna take pictures of the vehicle soon so if theres anything that can give you a clue as to what it is just tell me what you want a picture of.

try this

obd2fix.jpg

My motors a Obd 1 Jspec B18c. i dotn think this will apply to me but Ill look into it. Thanks.

Yeah it was just too difficult to rewire the 2 sensors i had mixed up while still in the car. Esp since the IAB is tucked nicely under the manifold.

You will have to remove your driver side wheel in order to get good access to the crank pully.

It sounds to me that your timing belt jumped a few teeth but then your car wouldnt even turn and you said it is.

have you checked your stater??? maybe your stared is going out, or have you even checked your alternator to make sure it still works and has the power to even start your car and keep it going without the battery having to do all the work now, and that will drain the battery very fast, cause when the alternator goes out, the battery now isn't just for starting your car to get the alternator going.

Yeah man. The engine is reinstalled minus the alternator and radiator fan right now. Yeah i stried starting it with starting fluid again and checked the spark once again but no go. The car cranks strong but no signs of it actually starting. Im trying to get someone who does swaps around the area to come check it out because right now school starts and I have little time once again.

Because the car wont start with starting fluid im still completely stumped as to why it wont start. (btw the check engine light is off after rewiring the 2 sensors). The grounds are good and clean and wiring seems to be in order. sigh... there must be a rat stuck in the motor or something... I have no idea..

hey did u ever find out what was wrong with your car? I am having the same problem? everything works fine just like yours. <My gsr is in a eg.

Back