compression bearings cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1988crxswapp

alright here is my questions i want to make my b18c as responsive as i can so my idea is to up the compresion a lil bit with a thinner head gasket but i want to stay on pump gas then i want to put the best set of cams in i can get and looking at cams it says i should replace the bearings im helicopter mechanic im good with my hands but never done any engin internal work is this something i can handle on my own with good manuals? also what size head gasket can i get away with also can i replace the barings on the crank by just dropping the oil pan and diconecting the connecting rods and droping the crank out and leaving the engine in? do i need to do anything special when replacing those bearing like machining work or nething or can i just slap them in and bolt everthing together and go???????????? any advice is apreciated i have purchased some books and manual anything i might need ???? thankyou

ive used that befor but i dont see ware it says how much compression u can run befor u have to use special fuel. i want to stay on pump gas. so how do i figure out how much compresion i can kick it up to?????/

depends on the pump gas
91 octane
93 octane
e85

in the end it all comes down to the tune

I'm running a little over 12:1 on 93 with no issues. My advice - don't touch the bearings unless you have the motor out on a stand. You are going to want as clean an environment as possible. Not to mention, I cant imagine doing the job on my back. How many miles are on the bottom end? Assuming it has never been ran out of oil, I'd just leave it be.

You can run a single layer head gasket, however I would recommend checking the head for flatness. There isn't as much room for variations with a single layer.

yea i was looking at raising the compression just under 12 so that is good news. thats good advice ill have the head checked if it is not how much can i have it shaved down? the only reason i want to change the bearing is because on the skunk2 website it recomends it for the stage three cams i want to buy. i have access to a lift so i figured with another guy it wouldnt be so bad??? the whole motor only has about 60,000 miles on it to my knowledge but i really am not positive its a jspec type r motor. will i run into problems if i buy stage 3 cams and also run a thiner head gasket ??

You don't need to change your bearings. Period. At 60k miles that bottom end is practically brand new. Being an ITR motor, it was hand assembled at the factory with tighter tolerances than anything else. You won't be able to replicate that. With a high compression build, you need to check your valve clearances by claying the motor.

Also, the stage 3 cams will be too aggressive for a 12:1 1.8 liter. Look into the stage 2 tuner series or the pro1's from skunk2. Get a good set of cam gears too. What do you mean it isn't an ITR motor? It should be stamped b18c and the head should be a PR3.

i meant i dont know the exact milage but the engine is an itr motor. claying the engine????????? the bearings ok i think u talked me out of doing them ha. claying the engine what does this intail? stage three you think is to much why is that???

Back