compression, how much can my motor handle?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vpSPOONsol

have a d15b7 and i want to know how high of a compresion ratio it can handle? does higher octane corralate with higher compresson? cause that wont be a problem over here in england. if an engine does blow due to high comp. what usually goes first? ex. gasket, valves, then pistons. i know a thicker head gasket is used to lower compression, but does that reduce horsepower also?
i plan to do a mini me with a jdm d15b head w/ aftermarket cam and internals...this is for everyday drving too, thanks

You can run ridiculously high static compressions- like 13:1 on pump gas (93 octane here) if you tune it right. If the engine decides to blow up, there's no way to tell what's going to go first until you figure out exactly why it blew up. If you tune too lean, you could run too hot and melt a piston. If you tune too rich, you could wash out your rings. If you detonate too much, you could break a ring land. If you rev too high, you could spin a bearing- or shift the sleeve and dump your head gasket. Who knows? There are too many variables.

Lowering static compression generally lowers power if all other factors are kept the same, but you can tune the power loss out by advancing your ignition timing or getting your fuel curves exactly right.

A mini-me with a VTEC head and aftermarket internals should hold up just fine. Just make sure to get it tuned correctly.

On your other thread- I don't know which D15B head you would be talking about. There's a two stage VTEC system one, and I believe that there's a D15B head that's basically the same as the D16Z6 head. As long as you use the proper ECU and solenoid setup though, you should be ok.

thanks, that was helpful... i didn't know that there were 2 d15b's, the engine list on here only shows one. but do you know if skunk2 internals for the z6 would fit. and what redline would i go by, the b7 or b? if tuned properly, whats the max rpm's till my pistons give? what oem d series pistons & rods could i swap with that can withstand higher comp. & redline? thanks...

Back