Compression Ratio / Octane Rating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

klyph

Dismember
VIP
Does anyone know how to figure what octane works best with different compression ratios? a chart would be awesome. I'm buildin the D16A1 & wanna know how high i can make the compression while still running premium pump gas. I don't wanna mess with octane boosters or AVGAS, cuz it's gonna be a driver. Thanks for any info!

usually, anything under 11.5 cr can still use pump gas. anything over that, I wouldnt run anything but race gas, especially if not tuned.

once you get it tuned, you should be able to run on pump gas with some octane booster.

yeah i forgot he's all motor not boosted....ahhh

Ya, I'm thinkin about leavin the CR stock so i can boost it later. Jackson Racing Supercharger? GReddy Turbo?

research? do some math to figure the cfm's you need for your power goal, then choose a turbo or supercharger.

sorry just fantasizing out loud. cant really afford either. Maybe some day... For now, I'll just roll with what i can afford- stock bottom end, Stage 1 valvetrain, I/H/E, Integra ECU, wonder how much power a d16a1 like that would make?

not much. unless you have a wild cam in there, the changes wont be drastic.

a bump in compression by milling would do it good tho.

my buddy andrew here is going 11.5.1 i think on his minimi. You can can run higher compression but it leaves very little room for error. I would say go 11.8 and tune it the day you fire it up if you want all motor power.

OR leave it as is till boost time or save the money for a B16. To me its reallt worthless build and all motor d series when you can use the money for a b series and get more power from the factory. but what ever you want to do its your motor. i'm just putting my input.

leave stock. just ovehaul the essentials,oil pump water pump. check internals make sure they are still to specs and save for boost.

I ran 13:1 on 93 octane pump gas, but that was with reaaaaaally good tuning.

If want/think you need more than say 150whp, go for boost.

thats why thinks i think its worthless to build an all motor d-series. Obvoisly to each his own but i would like to sink my money into making it as fast as i can. but yeah if he doesnt want gobs of hp then go ahead and knock yourself out:eek:

Well, you won't get gobs of horsepower out of any all motor B-Series. I mean, these are just small L4 motors after all. Why not just say screw all Honda motors and jump straight a big block Chevy and get 600whp all motor? Exactly. :)

150-160whp from a D in a hatch or CRX is damn near a 13 second car. That's plenty fast for most people on the streets.

screw the big block lets get a V12:D I see what your saying. 150whp is pretty good goal for a series i guess. thats about what a b16 will lay down stock( i think 140whp). i just figured he was trying to get the most power he could since he was considering high compression. I still stand with staying stock compression and boosting.

sorry for offending the d sries guys:ph34r: *cough* blanco *cough*:D

you can get as much hp you want as long as you have the money/time/engineering abilities to make/design parts.

how do you think bisi got 390whp from a sohc F22, naturally aspirated?

btw, he runs 8 or 9's in the 1/4.

Back