compression ratio

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xaero

What’s the highest compression ratio piston I can use with 93 octane gas, I am planing on building a lsvtec with a b18a1 block, with b16 head

An ls-vtec will be fine on 93, If you have proper tuning and fuel management you could run ~11.5:1 on 93

depends on tuning, for pump 93 - me personally 12.0:1 would be my limit, but Calesta has run higher CR.

Lots of variables affect it,

Damn, post in the right forums people.

:moved:

Yes, I've run higher compressions on 93 octane, and there are people who run even higher than me. It's all in the tuning. I've run 12.6, 12.4 and currently 12.8:1 compression on pump gas, all on separate engine builds.

Originally posted by B16@Jul 6 2004, 12:12 PM
yup, running 12.3:1 on cali 91 pump crap right now, runs great :)

Same here ....my cr is about 12.3.1 too. and i run 91 cali shit gas all day long...and have bin for about 6 mounths now

MY setup:

A b16 head w/portflow valve train,valve job,
CnC drag ported
head milled 20 under
1 layer head gasket
skunk2 stage 2 cams
L Natural cam gears,
stock gsr header
Ls bottem end w/p30 pistons,
Itr manifold,
In a 91 Hatch dx w/azens tires 15' in
2 1\2 strait piping all the way back w/ez muffler
b16 s1 tranny
vafc controller

well....there you have it........and good luck

Its all in the cams.

More aggressive cams with longer duration are going to bleed off more compression due to the intake valve being open ABDC. You could run 12:1 CR, but if the cam is aggressive enough the dynamic compression could be in the 10:1 area.

Originally posted by StyleTEG@Jul 8 2004, 09:40 AM
Its all in the cams.

More aggressive cams with longer duration are going to bleed off more compression due to the intake valve being open ABDC. You could run 12:1 CR, but if the cam is aggressive enough the dynamic compression could be in the 10:1 area.

:werd:

That definitely makes a difference. Decreasing overlap with my stock B16 cams made me detonate- there was no way to run well on pump gas with 2 degrees less overlap.

Back