compression

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxracing77

I s compression in all the clynders suposed to be the same... cause the one closest to the distributor is strong and the last 2 are week and the second closest plug whole i cant even get the plug out there only 3 mo old and i broke 3 plug sockets tryn to get ti out.... car wont start.... new fuel pump, main relay, distributor cap and rotor, new plugs and wires, minus the second one i cant get out... has spark ... what to do? :angry:

well i got all 4 plugs in and wires... there is oil in the first 2 plug holes closest tothe dist.. and when u turn the key and hold it in start pos and pump gas car will rev,, but when let go of key or gas the car dies..... im told it may be the ignition switch..... any ideas

most engines should have 140 to 160 lbs. of cranking compression with no more than 10% difference between any of the cylinders. I'm not sure what your honda has.

Low compression in one cylinder usually indicates a bad exhaust valve. Low compression in two adjacent cylinders typically means you have a bad head gasket. Low compression in all cylinders would tell you the rings and cylinders are worn and the engine needs to be overhauled.

If compression is low in one or more cylinders, you can isolate the problem to the valves or rings by squirting a little oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and repeating the compression test. The oil temporarily seals the rings. If the readings are higher the second time around, it means the rings and/or cylinder is worn. No change in the compression readings tells you the cylinder has a bad valve.

Originally posted by crxracing77@Oct 7 2002, 02:48 PM
well i got all 4 plugs in and wires... there is oil in the first 2 plug holes closest tothe dist.. and when u turn the key and hold it in start pos and pump gas car will rev,, but when let go of key or gas the car dies..... im told it may be the ignition switch..... any ideas

Check the fuses under the dash.

bad connections at the distributor and/or coil.

no fuel to fuel rail. Try the fuel pressure regular........

Big! vacumn leak!

Those are the things that I would look for. Skip the compression problem for now as long as you have compression it's a minor problem.

also, did you put some anti-seize on your spark plugs this time? hehe

to test if it is the ignition switch..
turn your key to the part where your dash lights up, right before you turn the key to turn over the starter. Now see if your dash even lights up. Its suppose to. If it doesnt play with it, if your switch is going bad there is going to be some play. And you will be able to play with it and make your dash light up.

Now if it lights up and you played with it and its not moving to much. Turn your key, start it up.. and let the key drop back to see if it falls in the same place when your dash lit up. If it doesnt you can play with it and get it to fall in the proper position. This may take a few tries. And that means your ignition switch is going bad.

if that didnt make sense let me know.. ill try to explain it better.

Back