Comptech Or Mugen?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FerioVtec94

i have a itr motor with a compression around 11:1, ctr cams, vafc, N1 exhuast, 4.785 final drive, and cam gears....dynoed at 180/136 with a dc sports 4-2-1. I have both a comptech 4-2-1 and mugen 4-1 header that i can put on. I have significant traction problems bc of the jdm final drive so i was leaning towards the mugen. Which header would you guys recommend?

if you have both of them put them both on and see what one you like better

traction problems have nothing to do with final drive.

What are you talking about?

If you have traction problems go for the the 4-1, the 4-2-1 will increase your low end and only add fuel to the traction problem fire

how does an itr motor with those mods only have 180hp? stock usdm is 195?

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 15 2003, 04:30 PM

high final drive = closer ratio on the tranny = more low end acceleration

i have the JDM ITR with the 4.785 FD, i cant put it to the floor untill about 1/2 way through 2nd or ill break traction

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Apr 15 2003, 04:43 PM

WHP (at the wheels)

figure about a 14% loss through the drivetrain
that puts him at 205.2 at the flywheel

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Apr 15 2003, 03:43 PM

180 to the wheels. the 195 your talking about is measured at the crank. there is substancial loss through the drivetrain so its actually pretty good

edit: beat me to it, lol

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Apr 15 2003, 03:47 PM-->
eyesonlybob
@Apr 15 2003, 04:43 PM

WHP (at the wheels)

Wouldn't 180whp be more like 215-220 at the crank? 180whp is what most IS 300s put out. A stock 5th gen prelude rated at 200hp puts out around 160whp stock... also, S2000s only put out around 195whp.

:werd:
you could be making 3000 hp at the flywheel but if your only getting 200 hp to the wheels what difference does it make
its all about WHP :)

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Apr 15 2003, 03:45 PM-->
liquid00meth
@Apr 15 2003, 04:30 PM

high final drive = closer ratio on the tranny = more low end acceleration

i have the JDM ITR with the 4.785 FD, i cant put it to the floor untill about 1/2 way through 2nd or ill break traction

yeah the shorter final drive definitely worsened my traction, put it this way....i get better 60' when launching in second gear......but it was so worth it.
for this reason i think the mugen will benefit me more, but i'll test both, i just can't afford all of the dyno time required to tune both headers individually

The alternative will be slight, but the 4-1 will definately make more high RPM power. For my two cents, my wheel hop and traction problems all but disappeared when I went with an Exedy lightened flywheel and organic clutch. The lightened setup reduced initial shock to the drive line due to less rotational inertia on the flywheel while providing a short path to high RPM horsepower. What you are looking for will be found here faster than a header change. At any rate, the GSR was like a different car after the clutch/flywheel job, lots more power where I wanted it to be, and sooo responsive.

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Apr 15 2003, 02:47 PM-->
eyesonlybob
@Apr 15 2003, 04:43 PM

WHP (at the wheels)

E- divide by .86 here, don't multiply by 1.14.... you get the wrong number. You have to divide by .86 to get your 100% number at the crank, not add 14% from the already reduced number.

cool deal thanks :)
good thing someone is good at math :D

Back