computer guru's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
my new homebuilt system has been running fine for the last month until last week. i picked up Rise Of Nations and it would freeze after a while of playing. didn't think much of it except for it kept happening.
then i decide to throw in Halo yesterday. freezes everytime i try to play. the screen just shows the last frame and then everything is unresponsive.
same thing happens today with Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo. freezes up after about 15 minutes.
i swapped in new ram today and that didnt' fix it. so there goes that idea.
next, i ran Prime95 torture test on the cpu. both times i ran it, the program froze the system. first time it was almost immediately, and the second time it took about 5 minutes.
so i'm ruling out any video card problem. it seems the cpu freezes after a bit of stress.
so i check the temps with pc alert. they're fine all along the torture test at 32 degrees Celsius. no overheating.
and on a side note, my cpu fan slot on the motherboard has never worked. but the case fan slot has, so that's what my cpu fan runs off. it's worked fine the last month with no problems. i could play Halo, Unreal Tour 2004, and Battlefield 1942 w/o a hangup ever.
a weird thing is, Age of Empires 2 won't freeze. neither does every day surfing the net or tryping.
so what is the problem? what haven't i looked at? i have all the latest drivers on everything, including windows update.

ATI 9600XT 256mb
80gb WD

check your IRQ's sounds like something is interfeering with your cpu.

besides games, have you isntalled any hardware or windows updates to drivers recently?

Could be an issue with the video card? I know my buddys laptop would freeze and shut the computer off while playing some newer games because it was overheating?

i checked teh fan on the video card to make sure it was working fine. and also ati has a temp gauge on it, too, which is nice to monitor.

how do i go about checking to see if there is a conflict with the irq's?

reboot, hit pause to slow the POST screense if necessary. it will show all your hardware and their IRQ's. jot them down.
go into devie manager and see if any are conflicting

Back