Computer help From Guru's for a Guru

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Well, here's the scenario
I get up yesterday morning check my email like always and leave for work about 8-8:30ish
Well during the day here in CT it got up to about 90 with high humidity. a hot fuggin day.
I get home from work about 5:30pm and it's damn hot in my place. Go to my computer
only to find it's off, I'm thinking oh ok it got hot and shut down, press the power button
and nothing the switch just clicks.

System
Tyan S2462 MB
Dual AMD 1600+ MP's
1.5GB PC2100 DDR
NMB 500Watt power supply (the one specific to dual processor boards)
PNY Nvidia Geforce4 TI4400

well, I took the cooling fans off the processors to see if they looked fried, but they look fine, I have no way to test them.
I'm lost , I'm hoping it was just the power supply that got to warm and popped a fuse but I haven't had the chance to investigate

So anyone ever have this same scenario. I'm kinda lost becasue I wasn't home when it happened.
or any ideas were to start looking.

edit: update the power supply seems to be fine, fuse is intact, and trickin the supply into having a load it turns on.

which is leading me to believe the processors are shot. I'd still liek to hear your feedback on this

Thanks in advance
Regards
Dennis

my system is plugged into a UPS , and I know the UPS is good becasue I plug something else into it and it turns on.

I think it's the processors of the MB.

only way I can check them is to come to work early Sat morning, and borrow the server and plug my hardware into it.
only thing I have that runs dual processors

u prolly just lost power due to all the AC being turned on i live in MA and thats what happened to me when i got home. If u fried the processor then the BIOS will still boot. If you are getting nothing then its either the power outlet, power cord, or the power supply. Since u say its niethier then this is what I do when i cant figure stuff out. I just press the power button like 6-7 times to make sure it is dead then i hold down the button for like 20 secs then if it does not boot then kick the living shit out of the comp!! Im not kidding i did this and got my shit working and a cd burner that was dead for 3 months too! :D

Originally posted by SolPWR@Jun 26 2003, 11:52 AM
If u fried the processor then the BIOS will still boot.

Usually not.

D- have you tried just booting one processor at a time? Most dual CPU boards will allow you to run only one if you want. I think you probably nuked the chips, but that's just my hunch. If you can boot one at a time, you might get lucky and have one dead and not the other.

it was all i could think of. sorry man..i did try something. sometimes its the litte things that you dont think of that causes the problem. then when you figure its something small...you tend to wanna kick yourself in the ass for not thinking of it first.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM+Jun 26 2003, 12:09 PM-->
that's a great idea M-

;)

daveLafleur
@?
how would dual amd's work for a homp computer?? I have a amd 2600 and want some more go on that puppy.

You need...

1. Dual processor board
2. Matched dual processor capable chips (or make yours work)
3. Dual processor enabled operating system
4. The need for dual processors... two CPUs doesn't make you twice as fast
5. Applications that can actually utilize two CPUs at the same time... like Quake

:lol:

Originally posted by daveLafleur@Jun 26 2003, 01:27 PM
how would dual amd's work for a homp computer?? I have a amd 2600 and want some more go on that puppy.

I understand you need for more speed, but a shit load of ram would help you out more than dual processors.
unless your using software like I do that utilizes dual processors these no need for em.

when you get two 2600 running together its not like haveing one 5200Mhz processor
but you increase your thru put of data by double

Well, the verdict is
bad power supply.
I came to work this morning, barrowed the supply from my server here and my system booted right up.

at least it's only $100 problem, and I know what;s wrong woo hoo.

Nice. I'm glad it wasn't something expensive. Always make sure you have good power!

Originally posted by Calesta+Jun 26 2003, 11:57 AM-->
@Jun 26 2003, 11:52 AM
If u fried the processor then the BIOS will still boot.

Usually not.

D- have you tried just booting one processor at a time? Most dual CPU boards will allow you to run only one if you want. I think you probably nuked the chips, but that's just my hunch. If you can boot one at a time, you might get lucky and have one dead and not the other.

Yeah it will boot, just wont pass the POST. but you will get power to the board. If your not getting power to the board, then its either a bad board, or bad power supply, but usually a bad power supply, as you found out.

Back