1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer in my vehicle

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by K2e2vin, Feb 8, 2006.

1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Does anyone know if a computer will run fine inside of a car? I'm worried about shaking. Reason I'm doing this is so I don't have to buy a laptop to tune with Crome; My cousin is selling his AMD processor(2.2ghz xp) and mini-atx board. I was thinking about putting my 1.4ghz processor on the mini-atx board, custom case and little LCD monitor...all powered by inverter. Should I worry about condensation or anything since it's cold right now?

2. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

4. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

5. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Thanks for the link ripperbone! I seen a setup like that before, but it was in a Mustang and had a bigger monitor(it was in a computer magazine). Its a good setup, but I don't need anything "perminent" like that; but I'm guessing just having any case will suffice?

Yea, its pricey; but what about just those case? They look pretty sturdy; will a micro-atx motherboard fit in there?

6. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

Ive done the setup before, you just have to watch where you are going or you might damage your hard drive. I had it setup insde a 17" LCD that i pulled the bezel off of and then i cut into the dash, and put the screen where the airbag was.

its a very difficult process especially since i had the thing bracketed in the trunk, but its pretty cool in the end. The guy i did it for still has it in his trunk, ill see if i can get pictures. Buy extension cords and do it right....dont be another half assed wannabee, cause that just aint even worth it.

7. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

case look good, but I dont think a mirco-atx board will fit they are putting mini-itx boards in the cases. the cases are too small

8. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

I might just put it in a shoe box :p lol. I just need to know if I need to make the case sealed or not. Also; I've noticed those car pc's use a DC-DC power supply; will there be a drawback to using an Inverter? Also, should i hook a capacitor to the inverter to keep constant flow of power when starting the car?

It's nothing permanent; just there for temporary tuning; so I don't want to spend alot of money into it

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted