computer peeps.. i gots a question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

is there any way to share a single IP adress on a cable modem, to 2 computers, both using windows XP, without buying a HUB??

Moving the cable between the two computers, but if you don't have two open network ports on your cable modem then you cannot plug both machines in.

Yeah that is the only way this will work. They don't cost that much.

I think what he wanted was to connect both machines without buying any new hardware.

He could also connect the main computer to the modem, and then use a hub to connect the other computers to the main computer, but the main computer would have to be on all the time in order for the other computers to get online. It's also a PITA to set up and isn't that stable of a network. Routers rock. They're only about $140 and pretty much install themselves.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 6 2003, 04:32 PM
He could also connect the main computer to the modem, and then use a hub to connect the other computers to the main computer, but the main computer would have to be on all the time in order for the other computers to get online. It's also a PITA to set up and isn't that stable of a network. Routers rock. They're only about $140 and pretty much install themselves.

:werd:

A router is the way to go, I swear I got mine for less than $140...

ok well i checked the modem, and it has one cat 5 RJ45 plug and a USB plug. i found a Usb cord that fit and now both computers are able to browse independently. the PC is using the USB, and ly laptop is using the RJ45... so it all works now. My next question is, will comcast charge me for the new IP address??

look for a linksys cable/dsl router it's only about $50

i got my dlink wireless router with 4 port switch for $50 from bestbuy. only way to go, especially since my cable provided checks mac addresses to see if two computers are on one ip address. the router took care of that just fine. my home network is dynamic on a 192.168 network and the router clones my pc mac address. screw paying for two subscriptions at $45 a piece.

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Aug 6 2003, 05:59 PM
ok well i checked the modem, and it has one cat 5 RJ45 plug and a USB plug. i found a Usb cord that fit and now both computers are able to browse independently. the PC is using the USB, and ly laptop is using the RJ45... so it all works now. My next question is, will comcast charge me for the new IP address??

If you're grabbing two IP addresses, then yes Comcast will charge you for both. Call them and tell them that you accidentally plugged both computers in- then go get yourself a router. You don't want to pay for two separate addresses unless you absolutely need them.

I got a full wireless setup in my apartment. Roxors not having cables all over the floor, and keeping the laptop int he living room to browse or IM on when watching TV.

NO cables holding the Laptop down OWNZ. ;)

I got another router querstions, too, guys.

I've got a Linksys (crappy) wireless router on my setup. From time to time during MOST downloads, and web page loading, it will drop a packet, and the page load, or download will jsut sit there, and not start back up again, like it's lost connection to the server it was speaking to. A constant ping will confirm that it drops connection momentarily, and when the connection comes back and ping works fine, the DL will jsut sit there, and not start back up. Is there an option in something (maybe my browser settings) to reconnect after packet loss? This happens from my Laptop AND my desktop PC, both running Win98. One on wireless, the desktop on WIRED connection.

Thanks, Guys.

[edit] DUH, Loss of server connection happens in AIM as well, so apparently, it's NOT just the browser. [/edit]

Here's a copy of the email that I sent them, and the ongoing battle with one idiot CSA that works there... I knwo she's probably going by a script, but damn, woman! One setting can only do so much!

-----Original Message-----
From: Marizza C. Dela Cruz [mailto:marizza.delacruz@Linksys.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 3:33 AM
To: Jody Barber
Subject: RE: Packet loss issues with my BEFW11S4 Wireless Router

Dear Mr. Barber,

Thanks again for Contacting Linksys Customer Support.

Adjusting the MTU is done when you're having problems in web browsing, downloading, email sending/receiving, and FTP. Try to assign values such as 1382 or 1400 or 1450 or 1492 and see which has the most stable connection. To be sure, try to inquire the MTU value that your ISP uses.

Please refer to my previous email for the steps on how to do this.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Marizza Dela Cruz
Linksys - A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Product Support Representative
800-326-7114
support@linksys.com

This correspondence is considered confidential and any reproduction for the purpose of public disclosure is forbidden without written permission by the author signed above. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender and delete any copies.

Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 3:03 PM
To: 'Marizza C. Dela Cruz'

Please disregard the Battle.net problems, they are something unrelated.

My main concern is the failing downloads and partial web page loading. It's as if the router is losing a single packet, and that kills the router's connection to the file or URL I am accessing, and it simply stops the transmission, instead of attempting to reconnect after the packet loss.

As far as the instructions you sent me, I attempted everything but the MTU adjustments. I was short on time and couldn't get around to this step.

Could you specify what the MTU adjustments are changing, and what it means?

The IE6 browser I am using had the security levels set at Medium, so I pulled them back to medium-low just to test. I also do not have a virus scanner running, and no firewall software installed yet. I just reloaded the operating system a few days ago, and the problem stuck around, so I didn't want to start throwing variables into the problem.

Thanks for the continued help.

Jody

Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 1:54 AM
To: 'Jody Barber'

Dear Mr. Barber,

Thanks again for Contacting Linksys Customer Support.

Have you tried doing all the steps I have provided in my previous email? If so, please let me know the results.

As for Battle.net, how many computers will use this application?

I would suggest that you open the ports in your router using Port Triggering.

Some Internet applications or games use alternate ports to communicate between server and LAN host. When you want to use those applications, find out the ports used by them and fill the triggering (outgoing) port and alternate incoming port in this table. The router will forward the incoming packets to LAN host.

To do Port Triggering to the router, please follow the steps below:

Open the web browser and type the router's IP Address 192.168.1.1.

1. Enter the Username and Password by default leave the username blank and admin for the password.
2. Click the Advanced Tab, then Forwarding Page.

1. Click the Port Triggering tab.
2. Enter an Application Name, I suggest that the name should be easy to remember; though it will work even it is blank.
3. Enter a port number on the "Trigger Port Range". You have to enter the ports that are being used in battle.net
4. Enter also a port number on the "Incoming Port Range" If unsure, it is suggested to make it the same with the Trigger Port Range.
5. Click Apply then Continue

You can find detailed setup instructions in Linksys' Knowledgebase at http://kb.linksys.com/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll...lientID=1868241

Into in the Knowledgebase' search box please enter KB10934151

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Marizza Dela Cruz
800-326-7114
support@linksys.com

This correspondence is considered confidential and any reproduction for the purpose of public disclosure is forbidden without written permission by the author signed above. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender and delete any copies.

Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 6:04 PM
To: 'Marizza C. Dela Cruz'

Marizza,

I gathered the information you requested.

Firmware: 1.44.2, Apr 16 2003
ASUSTeK/Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated

And it still is having the same issues today through battle.net, as well. When I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the Internet port on the router, released and renewed the IP address for the direct connection to my cable modem, the connectivity had no problems.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer,

Jody

Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 4:43 AM
To: 'Jody Barber'

Dear Mr. Barber,

Thank you for Contacting Linksys Customer Support.

To further assist you, please let me know the following information:

1. Firmware version of your router. This can be found in the Set up page of the router.
2. Model of the wireless cards you're using

For now, I suggest that you disable any personal firewall or antivirus software installed in your computers.

Kindly check your browser's security level. In Internet Explorer, go to Tools>> Internet Options>> Security and make sure that the "Security level for this zone" is set to medium or low.

Please also try to adjust the MTU settings of your router.

This is done when you're having problems in web browsing, downloading, email sending/receiving, and FTP. Try to assign values such as 1382 or 1400 or 1450 or 1492 and see which has the most stable connection. To be sure, try to inquire the MTU value that your ISP uses.

To adjust the MTU mode of the router, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the web browser and type the router's IP Address.
2. Enter the Username and Password.
3. Click the Advanced Tab, then Filter Page.
4. Enable MTU and enter your desired size.
5. Click Apply then Continue.

Or use this shortcut http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm .

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Marizza Dela Cruz
800-326-7114
support@linksys.com

Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 4:12 PM
To: 'support@linksys.com'
Subject: FW: Packet loss issues with my BEFW11S4 Wireless Router

Support:

First of all, let me start off by saying that I love the simplicity and ease of installation of this product, the BEFW11S4 wireless router! I got it in the mail from GoogleGear.com, and had it up and running within 15 minutes!

Now, to the heart of this email. Here's my issue. I've got this setup on my desk and I am using cable modem service plugged into the Internet port, and RJ45 port #1 runs to my PC, and I use the wireless for my PC in the bedroom, and my laptop, which usually resides in the living room. Everything seems to work fine most of the time, but when downloading, or on an instant messaging program, I was noticing lagging, and downloads that would stall, incomplete. If I cancel and restart the download, it picks up from cache and continues, but it is very aggravating. Instant messaging seems to lose connectivity, and sit for some minutes, then suddenly a rush of messages will come through, almost as if they had been buffered.

Upon noticing these issues, I started running a few tests. I started a PING to a generic website, and when the downloads would stall, I would have a single packet lost. When running the RJ45 from the cable modem to the NIC card in my base PC directly, I have not experienced these issues at all. I have let the router sit overnight with the power unplugged, and then reattempted downloads from multiple websites(www.microsoft.com, www.download.com, etc), only to experience the same packet loss leading to failed/stalled downloads.

My question is this: What could be causing this packet loss, and is there any update or workaround I could perform to resolve this? Is this possibly a defective router? I've only had the product for about 2 months, and this seems to have been going on since the beginning.

System info:
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1,73 gHz Processor
512 MB DDR RAM
ASUS A7V8X motherboard with onboard 10/100/Gigabit NIC

Anything else you'd need to help?
Thanks a lot!

Jody Barber
Hilton Hotels IT Dept
Memphis, Tennessee

Back