Computer Question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if its not the monitor, and you tried multiple cards- its the boards.
throw it out

Damn... we almost need a HondaSwap computer tech section. :eek: :blink:

i'm taking the board back in the morning i will let everyone know what happened in the morning. Thanks for everyone's help, i really appreciate it!

-Chris

I've had the same problem, here is what it was.

First w/ AMD board.

Cliping on the Heatsink I managed to crush the processor. Run your fingernail along the heat spreader part of the chip and feel for anything that isnt smooth.

With a new processor putting on the Heatsink again (taking a lot of force mind you) i sliped with the screw-driver and scraped the motherboard, slicing a copper trace and ruining the motherboard.

I returned the new CPU.

I bought a new P4 board and Processor and that shit cliped in like magic. I love those things, There's not stress getting the heatsink on.

I would check the processor first for a chip or crack. If you didn't use a copper shim when you put on the heatsink, and you didn't put it on perferctly, you may very well have cracked it due to un-even weight distribution.

Originally posted by Hexen@Jan 30 2003, 05:26 PM
I bought a new P4 board and Processor and that shit cliped in like magic. I love those things, There's not stress getting the heatsink on.

I got tired of AMD chips breaking/cracking/etc or failing due to too much heat stress... even moving the computer with the heatsink attached sometimes broke the core.

P4 all the way man... if you're willing to front the cash! I'll still build AMD systems- just not for my main computer.

Who needs a heat sink anyway? Waterblock y0! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MSI+AMD= :D
I'm happy with my $550 homebuilt system.

Quick question: anyone here ever use netstumbler? If so, I've got a few questions.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jan 30 2003, 07:56 PM-->
@Jan 30 2003, 05:26 PM

I got tired of AMD chips breaking/cracking/etc or failing due to too much heat stress... even moving the computer with the heatsink attached sometimes broke the core.

P4 all the way man... if you're willing to front the cash! I'll still build AMD systems- just not for my main computer.

Who needs a heat sink anyway? Waterblock y0! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

True, but I never went watercooling.

My machine is clocked 1.8 @ 2.36 and I have ZERO heat increase. I'm running below 30c when with AMD I was up in the 60's and 70's.

I really have no need for watercooling as it is. I don't render anything big (except sim city maps) and my Video Card more than takes care of that (GF3 TI500).

I'm going to be getting into flash for a website I'm going to try to build, but thats not to intensive either.

I was going for overclocking where heat wouldn't be an issue whatsoever- it's been a barrier for me quite a few times. I've run through huge 3 pound heatsinks, peltiers, ridiculous amounts of airflow... mild water cooling setups, now not so mild water cooling setups. Too bad I just got a chip that won't go over 2.5G no matter what. Cooling isn't an issue with my current chip's max clock. It's only a 2.0 stock. Oh well, I was trying for 3.0+ with water.

Ive had a problem with my AMD mother board not being compatible with my geforce4 graphic card the computer would just freeze whenever i tried to watch a movie r play a game dont know if ur problem has anything to do with whatever i went through

Just got done putting a window in my comp. Not bad for $10 =)
I must be turning into a geek lol
casemod2.jpg

Originally posted by Prowler@Jan 31 2003, 06:13 PM
Just got done putting a window in my comp. Not bad for $10 =)
I must be turning into a geek lol

Looks good! You gotta get into making your own window shapes and flush mounting them without any big rubber molding though.... that's more fun. :D

Oh yeah- gotta run fluorescent dye through your water hoses and have them glow from the UV being emitted by your black light inside- because you DO have water hoses and a black light in your computer, RIGHT?!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

okay, first of all, i wanted to thank everyone for everyones help.

Diagnosis:
Burnt Motherboard. I took it out this morning before work and I saw the burnt spot on the back of the MB and it was near the cpu. I took the motherboard back and they gave me a new one. The computer is up and running with Win2K.

don't know why it burnt out. The MB is suppose to have some utility that doesn't allow the CPU to burn out if the MB does. It worked, i guess!

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

-Chris

Cool deal. I'm glad you got it fixed for not too much money... or any more money. I know most motherboards come with CPU overheat protection, but the AMD CPUs don't come with internal temperature sensors (well some do now), and the motherboards mostly measure temperature with a probe... so if you have a slow overheat it'll shut down, but a fast short and overheat will kill the chip and/or mobo really quick and kill things before the BIOS can shut it all down. Go read up on Tom's Hardware- he's got a video review of how the AMD chips burn up vs the Intel P4s.

:D

I built this computer for cheap. It has:

AMD Duron 1.3GHz
ASUS A7V266-C Motherboard (Socket A)
128 MB RAM
Rage 128 pro 32mb AGP graphics card
AOpen 56k Modem
Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Card
Extra USB PCI Card
Floppy
DVD-ROM
CD-R/CD-RW