Computer Question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hmm, for 300 more I got a Dell P4 1.7 ghz, with 17 in monitor, speakers, and a printer

Originally posted by Liquidblaze+" "-->
Liquidblaze @ " ") said:
I built this computer for cheap. It has:
All for $825. Good Deal!?

Not really... I could have built the same for about $200 less. It depends on whether or not your monitor was CRT or LCD though.

Afipunk21 @ " ") said:
Hmm, for 300 more I got a Dell P4 1.7 ghz, with 17 in monitor, speakers, and a printer

Not bad.

Hexen @ " ") said:
1) They give you tech support for a reason, because you're going to have to use it. I know people who have had infinite problems with Gateways in particular, but also Dells and HPs (same company now.) Although I've never had a big problem with my HP laptop.. I still wish I could build my own :)

HP and Compaq merged, not Dell.

Hexen @ " ") said:
2) You're getting lower quality parts. What he listed there is all good name brand gear. Dell might offer a computer with 256 megs of ram, but it's probably still pc 100 or 133 (as opposed to DDR pc 2100+) and will just not perform as well. This is also VERY true for video cards (they often use MX versions which pretty much make GEForce 4 MX's into lower quality GEForce 2's. with more memory.)

I'm more worried about the integrated motherboards than anything else. You can get good video cards from Dell- they will spec out higher model GeForce4 cards and Radeon 9700 Pros if you want them.

Hexen
@ " "
3) He listed a flat screen there, I'm not sure if he means CRT or Flat Panel, but that does include a monitor... same size as what dell offers.

Yup. CTX isn't something I'd jump out and buy, although it is an excellent value brand.

Back