Computer Trouble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
So Ive got laptop running Win 7 with 3 user accounts. My account locks up as soon as I log in. The other 2 dont. I had a few sticky on my desktop, the other 2 did not. A couple of times I got an error msg about not being able to open my sticky notes, cant remember the exact wording. My account boots fine in safe mode. The only way I know how to uninstall gadgets is by opening them in standard boot mode then right clicking and uninstalling. I tried using one of the other accounts, but sticky notes dont show up. Any tips on how to verify and eliminate my problem?

Mine is the admin, but the others have all permissions. I didnt lock them out of anything.

Would it just be the easiest to delete my account and start over, or would there still be an underlying problem?

safe mode.
windows key+r (should bring up the run dialog)
type msconfig and hit enter.
startup tab.
see if your sticky note program is there, and uncheck the box.
try to reboot in normal and see if that lets your account login.

if msconfig doesn't work:

safe mode
start
right click on computer
click manage
click services
see if anything related to your notes program is in your services list.
if it is right click, hit properties, and set the service to disabled.

That's all I got. I'm a Linux guy, TurboMirage is the resident windows guy, so he may have more.

yeah, that sounds pretty good.

Another thing to check is the actuall statup task menu block on the start button. make sure its not in there either.

And if all else fails, there's regedit of which you can break everything in :)

try running mbam (malware bytes) as well, as something may have attached itself to a stickynotes program.

Last edited:
Yes... Start > programs > startup

But with 7 most software runs as a service now or in registry run keys.

So I couldnt find anything to do with sticky notes in any of those places. I ran an smart scan with Eset, no issues found. Ran CC Cleaner and nothing to do with stick notes came up, but I fixed what it found any ways. Rebooted and still have the same problem. The prompt I get is, "Not able to launch Sticky Notes. Issue with accessing the file. (Quit)" Neither of the accounts get this prompt.

Are regedit and mbam programs I need to dl? Is regedit somethin, someone with no experience should be using? Is regedit just a cleaner like CC Clean? Would Eset have missed somethin that mbam would pick up?

Im just tryin to figure out my next course of action here. Thanks again for all the help guys.

I have a rule about regedit...if you have to ask...you dont wanna run it.

Found something that may be useful:

Start>Computer
Organize>Folder and Search Options>View>Show hidden files,folders,and drives

Go to: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes

Should be a file in there called 'StickyNotes', just move it to your desktop and try to log out and log back in.

This will kill the sticky notes that are in there, but it should allow it to run normally again.

Lol, thats what I was thinkin. By todays standard Im pretty computer illiterate.

Can I do all that in safe mode, or does it need to be done in normal operation?

That link actually helped a little. I was able to find 2 sticky note files in the system 32 file. However, that link says to copy a working .exe file from another OS. How do I do that?

That link says to run a sfc/scannow prompt, but what does that do?

Now that I know where the 2 sticky note files are can I just delete them to remove it all together?

if you have a windows disc, just pop it in, navigate to d: whatever the the drive is and ctrl + f that bitch to find that exe to copy/paste over

problem with that is they may be *.xx_ and you would have to run expand command in an elevated prompt.

Back