Computer Video Q

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
ok, I'm going to need to replace my nVidia Geforce Ti4200 soon. the god damn cooling fan on it got clogged up with dust and stopped spinning causeing it to over heat a little. ever so often the video signal just stops transmitting.

So my question is I don't to a lot of gaming, mostly CAD/Cam work internet/emial.
spread sheets etc...

What I'd like is some thing that can handle a desent (sp?) game if I wanted to play one, able to do my CAD/CAM/ Labview and shit, but I'm also interested in using my video card as a cable tunner, also I'd like it to had a digital out so if I ever do get a falt panel display I'll be covered.

What are your general thoughts about ATI vs. nVidia
I'm having trouble desiding because I have a biased opinion as I've pretty much always used Nvidia cards.

I'm looking for an older model card something compairable to the card I'm replacing to
save a few bucks. (ie. I can get a Ti4200 for $90 vs the $300 when it was new)

well mainly because nvidia doesn't offer a TV-reciever card. were ATI always has.
I'm just looking to hear good/bad news about the cards , what poeple who have used the cards think about them.

i have an ebay kworld tv tuner pci card. works amazing. i play ps2 and such on it. its the bottom card.

adq.sized.jpg

it even has a remote port and came with a remote.
s-video, coax in, composite in, audio out.

it was 40 bucks.

Replace your card with another in the $100 range, then go pick up a Pinnacle Studio PCTV for another $50-75. That way you can always replace your video card regardless of TV in/out capabilities. I know I sure as hell don't like combining stuff like that. Keep it separate.

If i were you I would go with an nVida card. I have never had a lot of luck with ATI, ATI always seems like they are pushing a gaming card. ATIs cards for the older power macs confilicted and ATI offered little to no support for the product. I wihs 3dfx was still around they were on top of the products and even though they were more of a gaming card the were aware of most conflicts took care of problems. In my work machine (G5) which is mainly used for video editing, graphic design, Cad, e-mail, and Internet surfing. Which sounds like what you do. I have an nVidia Gforce fx 5200, and it is super smooth and nice, it is not a top of the line card, but it does the trick and it work real well with what I am doing. Granted the card is fairly new, but my dad has aGforce titainium in his computer and it is pretty nice too, he does a lot of cad, and photoshop work, and it is a pretty good card for that.

yeah you see MaaseyRacer, is the ard that is my system now the Ti4400 blows the FX5200 away. The Ti4200 AGP 8x card even comes close to being a better card than the FX 5900 series.

so I'm trying to find an older card.

The FX series is just like the MX series from the GeForce4's. Garbage compared to the others, but economical enought ot afford. There'll be a better GeForceFX series soon enough. For now I have the FX5200 and am not impressed at all. My old MX420 did just as good (128mb ddr vs 64mb sdr).

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Oct 20 2003, 07:25 PM
yeah you see MaaseyRacer, is the ard that is my system now the Ti4400 blows the FX5200 away. The Ti4200 AGP 8x card even comes close to being a better card than the FX 5900 series.

so I'm trying to find an older card.

The FX5900's capabilities are way higher than the Ti4x00 series. The FX is a newer generation GPU than the GF4... and the FX line has its low end and mid range too- so of course the Ti4200 will outperform some of the FX series cards, but it sure as hell won't outrun the 5900.

Right now, nVidia is behind ATi, so you might want to look into ATi's offerings if you're shooting for the best performance. However- if you want to look into something in the $100 range, it's a total battleground... ATi and nVidia both have really solid cards for that price.

Yeah what I was saying is for the price the Ti4200 ACP 8x card blows away the FX 5200/5400/5600.

but yeah the FX 5900 is the only on worth looking into in the FX line, but it's going for $300 still.

Ok, what you said almost made it seem like you thought the Ti4200 was almost equivalent to the FX5900, and it's nowhere close.

Back