computer wont play

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tylonalsnifnfool

I am definatly not a computer guy and i hate calling customer service so i decided i'll ask here. My computer will not play sound at all, when i look in my soud and audio devices it says i have no audio device installed but i know it must be there since this thing worked fine yesterday. last time this happened i had to wipe my whole puter clean and start from scratch, but i know there must be a better way. My AOL SN is tylonalsnifnfool so if anyone can walk me through this just IM me.

:lol:

Sorry man, call tech support. There are way too many things that could be wrong for someone to just walk you through it on IM. If you want to pay me $50 an hour for my time, I'll call you and get you through it on the phone.

at this point i am almost willing to, but i'm plat out broke and if worst comes to worst i can just re-boot. oh wait i lost my restore disk. i'm screwed.

:shrug2:

Well honestly- here's a quick list of things you can look into:

drivers
hardware failure
hardware conflict

Start Googling up ways to troubleshoot these problems. It's pretty easy- just don't delete too many devices out of your device manager.

Go to device manager, figure out what sound card / sound chip you have, then head over to the manufacturer site and download it. I assume that your computer is pre-built (Dell or something similar), so you can usually go to the computer company's site and download whatever drivers you need for your model of computer.

If you have a sound card, reseat it, it could have been bumped out of the socket.

Have you resently installed a new driver for the card? Or did the sound card all of a sudden stop working? Was there any other peripheral that you installed around the time your sound card went out?

I had some BS like that happen, I just did a system restore to a day before and it worked fine. See if you have a system restore point from a few days ago (should if you computer is set to automatically save them), and use it. If that doesn't work DL the driver from the manufacture like Mike said, them move on to more extreme measures.

Back