computer wont POST

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yea its not too big of a deal. i just have to start my new build now. lol. ive been collecting some parts for a while and i just bought the last piece yesterday.

Replace all the capacitors on it if you really want to try and save it. Lots of times they just don't last the years- I've saved a few boards like that before.

im not sure if the capacitors are the issue. they all look fine, i looked them all over, none are bulging or oozing. im just gonna strip off the ram and CPU and trash it. its not worh much at this point anyway. my new computer is up and running. ive got the new build in the other thread if you havent seen it.

pull the motherboard out of the case and run it on something that wont conduct to see if it will turn on.
I had an issue with grounding on a new motherboard and couldn't find it for the life of me. So I just took some styrofoam plastic stuff and stuck it behind the board that wouldn't melt or catch fire easily. Flame if you must, but it got it running and I had never any problems with it overheating... I later just gave it to my uncle.

Yeah I saw it. I'm just trying to build as many PCs as I can for as many rooms as possible without buying any new hardware- and using old socket A motherboards and chips that I have lying around with stripped down XP installs repaired with about $15 in capacitors is a zillion bucks cheaper than building with new parts.

Back