Concorde SS retired

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Oct 24 2003, 10:15 AM
The Concorde SS which is an airplane that flys at supersonic speed (mach1), is getting retired today. They said it flew from NY to London in 3 hours where as it takes a 747 nearly 8 hours to do. Here is the CNN link to more on the story: http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/10/24...inal/index.html

Sad to see a pretty cool looking airliner get retired. :(

no it actually flies at mach 2, approx 1520 mph. when it is at its flying apex.

maybe they can build planes like this for cheaper now... that technology is over 25 years old.

since it's retired the public can now purchase one correct? <_< atleast that is something I heard awhile back on discovery channel.

mclaren f1: $500'000

concorde ss: $500,000,000,000,000

drag race of the century : priceless

I know I'm a :tardcart:

I would have loved to go on that plane, but I will never get the chance, but life does go on.

i was watching something of the history channel about the concorde and since it flew supersonic and the sound that it creates, the flight plans of it was not allowed to go over any civilaztion, which limits its use a lot. I think it would have be more used if this was not another hold on it. i dont like this educated blur coming out of my mouth so i am going to stop now.

:werd: the sonic booms it would create kept it from flying over populated areas and also it was very loud around airports, so it couldnt land and takeoff where there are noise restrictions.

the cool thing about that plane is that it flies so fast that if you leave london at twilight, bound for new york, you will actually see the sun coming up on the west coast because you're flying faster than the earth is turning!

also, the plane is actually 6 inches longer when its at supersonic speed because of the intense heat it generates from friction. you can actually see gaps in interior panels opening up while in flight, then getting smaller as the plane slows down.
also, you can burn your fingers if you touch the cockpit windows while its supersonic...even though there in another outer layer of cockpit windows built into the adjustable nose.

Back