confusing swap!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

efcivic91

I have a 92 vx with a 97 jdm type r motor using a obd 2 gsr harness from a 99. I have CEL -- 1 -- 6 . I was told that it would be a plug and play but once vtec kicks in in goes into a different mode and no more vtec. The fans isn't working so i'm guessing its from code 6 ECT sensor but im sure its the right wires/ green/black red/yellow . Is 98 and 99 harness the same?

Well, one is OBD II and the other is OBD IIb, so there may be a small difference or twenty.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 11 2004, 12:32 AM
Well, one is OBD II and the other is OBD IIb, so there may be a small difference or twenty.

well when i purchased my ecu adapter i told the maker what year it was coming from and what year engine harness i was using and he said the same thing so i figured it would be fine? Any suggestions or ideas? Is the 99 harness going to work?

Most people seem to use the OBD II ITR harness. But jumping OBD and model, can have some problems. If you have a manual for both, you could track down what's wrong, but to try to troubleshoot over the net would be almost impossible.

i have a 96 jdm R motor in a 94 del sol.. i'm using an obd2 gsr engine harness and it was all plug and play. i'm pretty sure for the engine harness 98 and 99 are the same, but they will differ at the ecu (inside the cabin). are you using just the engine harness? or both engine and cabin harness? what ecu are you using?

Originally posted by B16@May 11 2004, 12:38 PM
i have a 96 jdm R motor in a 94 del sol.. i'm using an obd2 gsr engine harness and it was all plug and play. i'm pretty sure for the engine harness 98 and 99 are the same, but they will differ at the ecu (inside the cabin). are you using just the engine harness? or both engine and cabin harness? what ecu are you using?

I only used the engine harness and have the R ecu. Was i supposed to use the cabin harness also?

Originally posted by B16@May 11 2004, 06:38 PM

I think it was Civisous(sp) that was saying they are different. Someone needed the pinouts, I posted the OBD II one, and it turned out to not be the same as the OBD IIb.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+May 12 2004, 03:53 PM-->
@May 11 2004, 06:38 PM

I think it was Civisous(sp) that was saying they are different. Someone needed the pinouts, I posted the OBD II one, and it turned out to not be the same as the OBD IIb.

HUH? :huh:

Originally posted by efcivic91+May 12 2004, 11:28 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 12 2004, 03:53 PM
B16
@May 11 2004, 06:38 PM

HUH? :huh:

In another thread, someone asked about the difference between OBD II and OBD IIb, I posted the pinout for the OBD II ECU, and someone posted the pinout for the OBD IIb, and they are different, which would mean that they are not compatible without some rearranging.

right, that is at the ecu.. but at the firewall i think the engine harness is the same.

Maybe, I've never compared the OBD II and OBD IIb, but there has to be a reason for it not matching up. And the two having different pin locations could indicate they do change, I don't know, just throwing out ideas.

Actually, isn't Esolsi's Del Sol an OBD I and he using an OBD IIb ITR? If so, he's know.

so from what i understand then it's the harness in the cabin that needs rearranging or my adapter is wrong. I appreciate all the help guys, i'm using the stock single obd 1 ecu right now to get around. so how do i get ahold of Esolsi?

i have an 00+ JDM ITR engine
i modified my stock harness to plug into the ITR engine (replaced plugs for the alternator, distributor, fuel injectors, and lengthened a few wires for plugs that didnt reach)
i am using a chipped P28 ECU (VAFC for tuning)

no problems, no CELs, been running strong for over 1 year now

i would ditch the JDM ITR ECU (ebay the fucker) it has a speed limiter at 180KMH anyway (about 112MPH) :thumbsdown:

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 13 2004, 12:42 PM
i have an 00+ JDM ITR engine
i modified my stock harness to plug into the ITR engine (replaced plugs for the alternator, distributor, fuel injectors, and lengthened a few wires for plugs that didnt reach)
i am using a chipped P28 ECU (VAFC for tuning)

no problems, no CELs, been running strong for over 1 year now

i would ditch the JDM ITR ECU (ebay the fucker) it has a speed limiter at 180KMH anyway (about 112MPH) :thumbsdown:

as far as replace the plugs go you just rewired them and switched them over? I was told i could just use the gsr harness and it would be plug and play, do you know anything about the ECT sensor housing needing to be switched to the usdm one?

i'm using an obd2 gsr harness on my 97 jdm itr swap. i didn't change any plugs, it was all plug and play, this is into a 94 del sol vtec.

Originally posted by B16@May 13 2004, 01:53 PM
i'm using an obd2 gsr harness on my 97 jdm itr swap. i didn't change any plugs, it was all plug and play, this is into a 94 del sol vtec.

do you know what year that engine harness came out of? so one person says i need to change the ect sensor since its different from the usdm and another says its plug and play, and i was also told i need to wire my knock and o2 sensor from engine to computer? Someone???

US OBD2a + OBD2b integra engine harnesses are the same, in regards to wire layout. But, from the cabin wiring out to the shocktower plug, as B16 mentioned, its different between OBD2a & obd2b.

I'm betting the reason for code 1 is because all VX's use a 5-wire 02 sensor. There's a fix for it, converting it to a 4-wire 02, but I don't have that information handy. actually I just found this link:

http://www.geocities.com/dwnthehatch/vxwiring.html

I'm not sure why you're getting code 6 though. Thats weird. You sure you have the ECT plugged into its correct location?

Back