1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

congress to add 13 more weeks to unemployment bennies

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by E_SolSi, Sep 22, 2009.

1. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

House moves to extend unemployment benefits - Yahoo! News

it was already extended from 26 to 53 weeks

and now they want to add another 13 fucking weeks

i understand that the job market is less than ideal right now and there are a lot of people having trouble finding jobs that they feel are up to their standards, qualifications, or desires... but seriously 66 god damn weeks... one year and three and a half months... get a fucking job people... there are jobs out there... i see ads and signs all over the place for places hiring... perhaps its time to re-evaluate your life and career choices... perhaps you are not worth what you thought you were... perhaps your skill set is not as marketable as you thought... perhaps its time to change paths... its definitely time to get realistic... there is absolutely no fucking way someone could be HONESTLY seeking employment for an entire fucking year and not find ANYTHING

2. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

People are either too fucking picky, or abusing the system. Sure people are exhausting their unemployment, this is america, why apply yourself when you can get "free" money from the govt. Same concept as welfare.

I have been out of work for about 5 months now - but I freely admit that I am in a situation where I can be more discriminatory about what I apply for. Even at that, I'm basically only staying out of food service and applying for everything else I may be qualified for. Fuck these people that say they'll only work certain kinds of jobs.

3. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt

Under this proposal, in Michigan or any other state over 8.5% unemployment (15.2 currently in MI) you could actually qualify for 79 weeks.

Edit:

1 thing to remember about this, at least here, is unemployment pays 387 a week, maximum. Basically 9 bucks an hour. The attitude people have is that if they can collect unemployment or work at Walmart or wherever for 9 or 10 an hour, they will choose the unemployment.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  4. E_SolSi

5. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

It should also be subject to income tax just like any other income.

6. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt

It is taxed just like any other income.

7. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

maybe if unemployment actually checked up on clients and found that they were NOT looking for jobs....

8. E_SolSi

usually you have a choice to get unemployment with or without the taxes taken out
    if you get it with the taxes taken out you get a form at the end of the year just like you would from a regular job and you do your taxes normally
    if you do not choose to have them take the taxes out, you obviously get more money every week, but when it comes time to file, you need to pay all of those taxes then

9. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt

That's great in theory, but next to impossible to do. At 15% here, you're talking about 1.5 million people. How do you check on that many people. Technically the sytem requires you to look for work, but even if you had to list where you were applying, how can it be verified?

All you have to do is pick up a phone and call to certify for your benefits every 2 weeks, and it's an automated system.

10. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

But then who would vote democrat?

11. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i dont even give a shit about parties and such. i dont even know the difference between democrat/republican/conservative/liberal... nor do i care to.

what i stated is cut and dry regardless of affiliation.

1 person likes this.
  12. DarkHand

DarkHand Senior Member VIP

Rep for that!

13. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

Bipartisan agendas have ruined this country.

14. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

and basketball coaches....

top on the list for a CT state employee is CALHOUN...

the corrections and DCF guys aren't making bad pennies either...

my taxes go to pay these guys...and I could care less about fucking basketball.

and my taxes go to the losers to have a $20+K life because they are too lazy to work... a few weeks is cool, but over a year... fuck them.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/files/Top250pay.pdf

15. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

How the fuck can a basket ball coach make 10-20 times more than the friggen Governor of the fucking state..... that just makes my fucking blood boil.

16. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt

Because he in turn brings in revenue for the school. Uconn has one of the top bball programs in the country, and the money they bring in theoretically funds other programs for the University.

That's how college athletics works in 2009, and has worked for 20 or more years.

I just looked at the list, Edsall is the football coach and Auriemma is the women's bball coach.

1.6 is a drop in the bucket compared to what the top football coaches make.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  17. UNDR8D

UNDR8D ...has a job!

What do all these people do at UConn to make $200,000+ dollars? Are they all professors?

18. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt

Google says Peter J Deckers is the dean emeritus of the Uconn med school.

551,000. not too shabby.

Universities have a tendency to pay a lot to people who bring in research dollars, gov't grants, etc. All that funding more than makes up for the salaries. If not, they just bump up the tuition 10% a year.

19. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

Unemployment comes out of your paycheck before you can collect it. It is YOUR money that the govt. took from you. Collecting it is you getting back what you paid in. This thread is like bitching about old people living too long and collecting too much social security.

You wanna bitch about something, bitch about the fact that the government steals your money to "protect" you.

20. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

Incorrect. (at least, in Oregon)

Unemployment benefits are chiefly paid from an employer-paid tax, hence the reason most employers try to get claims denied. Usually it's either because they think they will pay more if the claim is approved (the tax is called "unemployment insurance" - not true in this case), or because they just don't want the employee to get the benefits for whatever reason or another.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted