Connecting pins will not fit?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Abrasintegra

I went to pick up my stuff from the machine shop today and recieved some bad news. The machine guy said he couldn't get the pins from the ITR pistons through the LS rods. He shaved the rods to fit the pistons but he said that when he went to press in the pins he could only get about a quarter of the way through before they'd just stop moving. I took them home (new pistons, old pistons, new/old pins, and rods) and measured them and the ITR pins are only like .0005 thicker than the old ones yeah only .0005. He also said he caught hell getting the old pins to even come out. Could it just be because the motor had alot of miles on it? Anyways I was wondering if I could just use the old pins on the new pistons or will that 50 thousanth of an inch mess somthing up?

ITR pins should fit ITR pistons without a problem. I am not sure if all b series piston pins are the same, but is it possible that you got the wrong pins?

his problem is with the type r pin fitting through the ls rod but that is probably what you meant to say =). take a hair off your head and split it 4 ways down the center that is what .0001 looks like I don't see that being a problem

yeah, are they heating the rods....cause .0005 clearance isnt bad...maybe just leave the rods in the cooker a lil longer.

Yeah the guy heated them up. he's even got a cool machine thats specificly for heating up rods looks like somthing out of the stone age but so do most machine shop tools. I'll tell him to bake the rods longer and if that don't work press the new pistons on with the old pins but I want to make sure .0005 isn't enouph to cause any wobble with the piston and make the motor go boom not vroom.

Oh and if anyone knows how I can find out about the diameter the pins are suposed to be let me know. They're from honda so I'm assuming there going to be right (there I go assuming things again).

yeah, the thing im thinking of is a stone age like tool...im not really sure how to use it, the owner of the shop always does most of that crap....hes a pretty hands on guy.

im almost sure that if you let em go about a minute longer itll expand a lil more.

Well I droped them back off today and should find out by monday (doesn't work weekends).

Quoted post[/post]]
his problem is with the type r pin fitting through the ls rod but that is probably what you meant to say =). take a hair off your head and split it 4 ways down the center that is what .0001 looks like I don't see that being a problem

Yeah, that's what I should have said. I forgot that the pin gets pressed into the rod, not the pistons. I run forged pistons that use retainer clips, so never had this problem before.

Try heating the rods up a bit more.

Back