Connection effecting VOIP?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Just wondering, if you were downloading a bunch of stuff and have xbox live on; will it effect a VOIP services like Vonage?

No, I didnt get the Vtech phone. lol. I dont really like wireless. I dont know why, but I seem to always have trouble related to interference issues(even with the simple cordless phone). I got the plan with the simple Linksys Router/Adapter.

In what way does it messes up your phone? Does the connection just drop or is it laggy, etc.?

Mine will actually drop the connection completely at times. Only if I have Azureus running and trying to a bunch of other internet related shit. It never seems laggy though.

The phones are all fucked up in my house, so even if I were to have a regular service, it wouldn't work right, the house has some serious wiring probelms. I think one line going into the kitchen actually works. And only 2 work right now with the vonage, but that's because I didn't feel like routing all the extra laine.

Quoted post[/post]]
Just wondering, if you were downloading a bunch of stuff and have xbox live on; will it effect a VOIP services like Vonage?

which is exactly why I ditched vonage.

if you use your internat connection for anything but the VOIP phone than the quality sucks.
If I set up anything to d/l like music or movies. calls sucked ass.

VOIP is not ready for primetime

voip is over rated.

hell, home phones are over-rated.

cell is my only phone i have in my house...

Well, its $10 cheaper than the current BellSouth bill. If its that bad we probably will switch back to a telephone-wire system...after it gets cheaper. Hopefully Vonage and the likes will cause regular phone bill costs to drop.

Thanks for the replies!

Quoted post[/post]]
Reenable QoS packets on the network.

been there done that. tried using QoS on my router, on my pc, various configes there of and still the same shitty service. My cable modem has an upload of about 1Mbps. so it shouldn't of been a problem

I don't have any problems with mine. My router gives priority to the VOIP device, so my transfer rates usually just drop about 10kB/s and that's it. The data stream doesn't "hurt" the sound quality of the Vonage line, even when I'm completely maxed out on bandwisth.

Quoted post[/post]]
I don't have any problems with mine. My router gives priority to the VOIP device, so my transfer rates usually just drop about 10kB/s and that's it. The data stream doesn't "hurt" the sound quality of the Vonage line, even when I'm completely maxed out on bandwisth.

I had everything set up the same way , and if I was d/l anything you'd hear a clicking noise on the line and a lot of echoing

My dad lives in the middle of the woods on a dirt road off another dirt road in Newtown CT (About as Rural as CT gets) and his vonage box operates very well even with multiple downloads going.

He's just got the out of the box setup on it.

-> Steve

Back