Considerations...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I budget 225/mo. for heating oil on 10months (I used 900 gallons last heating season) which assumes $2.50/gallon pre-buy.

I have 5 year old Thermal windows and new insulation in the house. Only thing that may be letting heat out is the fact that I have aluminum siding...

I was spending about 350 every six weeks on oil last winter

Please, pick one window and try to do it yourself to check out how easy it actually is.

Shims, pine 2x4s and stuff

IMO that is ridiculous.
its not. it's reality. Thank the arabs.

But that's going off one month's bill. I'd rather not see that top 200+ on one bill. I should be able to turn off the furnace and the house not get cold fairly quickly because the only thing stopping the escape is stapled plastic.
even in my condo (which has electric heat) i see my power bill go from about 80 bucks to 250-ish in the winter, so its costing me about 175 bucks a month for heat. and i keep my place around 60-62*. Sure, oil is different than electric, but its the same deal... heat costs money.

200 and 500 dollars... to me that's not a joke. It's a rarity that I see that kind of money all at once.

but thats just it... it's a WRITE OFF.
you will NOT see this cash.

it takes 200 or 500 off your total TAXABLE income. which means you move 1 line down in the book for what you owe, if you're lucky. most the time, the range is 500 to move a line down.

I budget 225/mo. for heating oil on 10months (I used 900 gallons last heating season) which assumes $2.50/gallon pre-buy.

I have 5 year old Thermal windows and new insulation in the house. Only thing that may be letting heat out is the fact that I have aluminum siding...

I was spending about 350 every six weeks on oil last winter

:werd:

on my new house, the sellers have estimated $1900 for fuel costs annually.
i can't say i'll hit that, and i may be lower than that due to my cooler temps (plus they have a baby)

october sees maybe one or 2 days that the heat goes on, and its off by april. so that leaves 5 months of heat. for math, call it $2000 esitmate.
thats $400 a month.

but, the hot water tank also runs on the furnace (for now) so that estimate is rather high for just those 5 months. probably closer to 300/month.

welcome to home ownership :)

I can't afford to budget that much, otherwise I'm back to where I was in 04-05 with 30 a week for food, if that.

Please, pick one window and try to do it yourself to check out how easy it actually is.

Shims, pine 2x4s and stuff

I'm not even going to bother. I'll end up dropping the pane and breaking it. 7000 is just a rough estimate from him. I wanna see what the quote comes out to before I commit.

but thats just it... it's a WRITE OFF.
you will NOT see this cash.

it takes 200 or 500 off your total TAXABLE income. which means you move 1 line down in the book for what you owe, if you're lucky. most the time, the range is 500 to move a line down.
not entirely true
residential energy credits (ie: doors, windows, insulation, metal roofs with pigmented coatings) are reported on form 5695, which transfers to line 52 on the 1040 for a dollar to dollar reduction of your income tax

you have 3200 in tax, withheld 4k = 800 refund
you have 3200 in tax, withheld 4k, 200 credit for 2k worth of windows, now you get back 1000

still not the greatest incentive, but better than a reduction of taxable income

start buying ramen.....

I used to, but I can't eat it anymore for some reason. As long as my insurance stays down and I work things out and stick to my budget I could make this work. With the lowering of the energy bills due to this I think it'll work out. But I need to go over my finances and find some hard numbers from savings costs.

Honestly, if you're stretching yourself this far because of heating bills, it probably would not be in your current best interest to spring for new windows that cost upward of $6000-$7000.

Get all your finances in line and when you're a little more flexible, start thinking about major repairs.

Honestly, if you're stretching yourself this far because of heating bills, it probably would not be in your current best interest to spring for new windows that cost upward of $6000-$7000.

Get all your finances in line and when you're a little more flexible, start thinking about major repairs.

Well honestly I'm not stretching anything as of right now. I could add a 125 loan payment ontop of what I have now and still live semi comfortably, I'd just have to cook in more often than I do. lol I can see it being doable if I could get Brian to just simply take care of a few of the set monthly bills like the tv, garbage, etc.

ultimate solution:

buy and eat only ramen.
use the plastic wrappers to make window covers :)

I've already got most of the windows covered. Haven't taken them off since I moved in on the two downstairs or most of them upstairs.

My point is that in my opinion I would be far stretched outside of my means if $125/month, or rather, a $250 oil bill was breaking the bank.

ask your dad for a $3 /hr raise :)
that should cover your extra oil costs.

watch the show on TLC about how to get a raise.

Couple of questions to float out there:

Are these direct fit replacements or would you need to modify the rough opening?

Do you have to purchase them all at once in order to receive any special deals or could you just replace the few that are bad right now and the rest in the spring or later?

Is your water heater gas or electric? If it is gas is it turned down to a range that you would actually use as opposed to being set higher then you would ever use? This is one great way to save money on a gas bill

Do you have a digital thermostat? I installed one at my parents and they saw a pretty decent return on their heating cost because they set it to turn down at night and when they were gone. It is nothing dramatic but over time is will pay off.

Does that bid include labor to have them installed? If not do you have/have friends that have the skills to install them for cheaper?

What brand are they?

What is your insulation situation in the house?

7 windows for $7000+!!!!!! ...WTF...are they made out of gold?

dude..a window replacement is $180 tops..and take a newb a day to install. And thats the top of the line Pella with grids. I have a contractor buddy at work, and he said if I'm willing to pay $180 a window, that he have his crew out there when I want to do all the windows in my house...he told me contractors can get the same windows for about $100...and the pro's can install a window in 2 hours...sashed with all alumi trim. And Another contractor I spoke to told me their flat rate for windows is $250 each...same trim window. Then I had a real window manufacture come give me an estimate for $500 a mindo...all custom, triple pocked, Argon gas, all the bells and whistles you can put into a window...looked good...but it got out of my price range...

I did one window...it's not bad, I did it myself, no problem...and nearly impossible to drop if it's coming out of your wallet. Another set of hands works wonders. Offer a friend a beer to help and get it done.

I have a total of 26 windows in my house.... one done...and I'll call the contractor that will do them for $250 a window. Worth it just for the time factor. Hell, I just installed 3 windows in the shed...no problem at all.

get more esitmates, and also talk to your mortgage company about the HELOC loan...use it up, finish the house, refi with a higher equity line...and pay the same if the equity put in over powers the amount of money put in.

My point is that in my opinion I would be far stretched outside of my means if $125/month, or rather, a $250 oil bill was breaking the bank.

Well I can afford it, and I'm looking out for another job too.

ask your dad for a $3 /hr raise :)
that should cover your extra oil costs.

watch the show on TLC about how to get a raise.

haha right... Kathy makes the same as me and has been there 7 years longer. She hasn't even gotten a raise since the cost of living that we all got. :)

Are these direct fit replacements or would you need to modify the rough opening?

I don't know. My free estimates are tomorrow, as I said before I haven't gotten that far into it.

Do you have to purchase them all at once in order to receive any special deals or could you just replace the few that are bad right now and the rest in the spring or later?

I've thought about doing them a few at a time, but again, haven't thought that far into it because I don't want to get hit with trip and installation charges on each window.

Is your water heater gas or electric? If it is gas is it turned down to a range that you would actually use as opposed to being set higher then you would ever use? This is one great way to save money on a gas bill

It's gas, and if I turn it down anymore the water goes cold. I just had to turn it up after taking a shower in 50 degree water.

Do you have a digital thermostat? I installed one at my parents and they saw a pretty decent return on their heating cost because they set it to turn down at night and when they were gone. It is nothing dramatic but over time is will pay off.

I do have a digital honeywell thermostat. It needs to be moved as it's in a direct shot from the front door. Fortunately the wind blows west to east and my house faces north with a giant covered porch, so it doesn't leak in too much. I plan on sealing the door and getting glass fitments for the screen before winter sets in.

At 7:30 am it's set to go up to 80, at 4:45 pm it's set to go down to either 73 or 74. My electric bill hasn't been insane, but we'll try it out in the winter to see.

Does that bid include labor to have them installed? If not do you have/have friends that have the skills to install them for cheaper?

I don't know, it was an estimate off the top of his head based on another bid he had in front of him which was 12 windows for 6500 installed.

What brand are they?

I'll have to ask, because again, I didn't quite get that far into the conversation.

1927+ insulation, whatever is in the walls is staying there. The attic is very well insulated and any wall I ripped down I insulated.

7 windows for $7000+!!!!!! ...WTF...are they made out of gold?

Try again, FOURTEEN (14) WINDOWS FOR $7000. That comes out to $500 a piece installed.

Last edited:
Decent replacement windows around here are about 300 installed. Not really that far off...

Well I can afford it, and I'm looking out for another job too.

haha right... Kathy makes the same as me and has been there 7 years longer. She hasn't even gotten a raise since the cost of living that we all got. :)

I don't know. My free estimates are tomorrow, as I said before I haven't gotten that far into it.

I've thought about doing them a few at a time, but again, haven't thought that far into it because I don't want to get hit with trip and installation charges on each window.

It's gas, and if I turn it down anymore the water goes cold. I just had to turn it up after taking a shower in 50 degree water.

I do have a digital honeywell thermostat. It needs to be moved as it's in a direct shot from the front door. Fortunately the wind blows west to east and my house faces north with a giant covered porch, so it doesn't leak in too much. I plan on sealing the door and getting glass fitments for the screen before winter sets in.

At 7:30 am it's set to go up to 80, at 4:45 pm it's set to go down to either 73 or 74. My electric bill hasn't been insane, but we'll try it out in the winter to see.

I don't know, it was an estimate off the top of his head based on another bid he had in front of him which was 12 windows for 6500 installed.

What brand are they?

I'll have to ask, because again, I didn't quite get that far into the conversation.

1927+ insulation, whatever is in the walls is staying there. The attic is very well insulated and any wall I ripped down I insulated.

From what I have seen water heaters should be set around 140 degrees for the best compromise of usability and cost effectiveness. Secondly if it is older you may want to look at replacing that to a more efficient model or atleast insulating it and the pipes around it if appropriate.

Holy shit 80 degrees during the daytime and 73-74 during the night!?!?!?! I honestly thought my fiance was bad for having ours set to 70 during the day and 62 at night. Christ where the hell do you live and do you have a cold blooded medical condition? Hell I would just throw on an extra layer of clothes if I were you and were cold at 70 degrees.

During each 24-hour period, you will save about 3% on your heating bill for every 1° that you lower the thermostat setting. For example, if you normally keep your thermostat set at 75° all the time, and you lower it by 3° to 72°, you will save about 9% (3x3%) on your heating bill. In other words, you could save about 9 cents for every dollar you spend on heating costs.

For the 8-hour period at night when you're sleeping, you will save an extra 1% on your heating bill for every 1° that you set back the thermostat. For example, if you lower your thermostat from 72° to 65° at night, you could save another 7 cents for every heating dollar you spend.

I would also get the make, model, and EER rating of the windows to make sure they are not trying to sell you the top end model you don't necessarily need. I agree with airjockie that you may be able to order from somewhere else, install them yourself or even hire somebody reputable to do it for cheaper that it sounds like this place will do it. Just trying to lend a brother a hand so they don't take it in the rear end. This project should allow you to come out ahead not feel like you were taken to the cleaners.

From what I have seen water heaters should be set around 140 degrees for the best compromise of usability and cost effectiveness. Secondly if it is older you may want to look at replacing that to a more efficient model or atleast insulating it and the pipes around it if appropriate.

I've thought about it, 300 bucks from Menards for a decently efficient water heater. I have no clue how old my current heater is though, and it seems to work well. I don't wait that long to get hot water and it lasts however long I want it to.

Holy shit 80 degrees during the daytime and 73-74 during the night!?!?!?! I honestly thought my fiance was bad for having ours set to 70 during the day and 62 at night. Christ where the hell do you live and do you have a cold blooded medical condition? Hell I would just throw on an extra layer of clothes if I were you and were cold at 70 degrees.

I'm talking about the AC right now. I basically turn it off so outside heats the house during the day.

I set it to 73-74 for the main floor when I get home, because if I don't it's 85-90 degrees upstairs where I sleep. If I turned it off I can guarantee you I'll wake up in a sweat. For the first few days of 95+ outside, I didn't use the AC and I couldn't sleep.

This is for the air conditioning through the summer, I haven't had more than a month here when it's getting below freezing. I wear clothes through the winter, but I'm not my brother (who's comfortable outside in 10 degrees with just a sweatshirt on.) lol

The normal for pretty much anyone around here is 72 degrees, which is where I had mine set at for the one month of cold I've spent here thus far.

I might be able to set it at 68ish over the winter because the heat is going to rise anyway... I just need to test this theory when the time comes.

During each 24-hour period, you will save about 3% on your heating bill for every 1° that you lower the thermostat setting. For example, if you normally keep your thermostat set at 75° all the time, and you lower it by 3° to 72°, you will save about 9% (3x3%) on your heating bill. In other words, you could save about 9 cents for every dollar you spend on heating costs.

For the 8-hour period at night when you're sleeping, you will save an extra 1% on your heating bill for every 1° that you set back the thermostat. For example, if you lower your thermostat from 72° to 65° at night, you could save another 7 cents for every heating dollar you spend.

Good to know some numbers, thanks for this. :thumbsup:

I would also get the make, model, and EER rating of the windows to make sure they are not trying to sell you the top end model you don't necessarily need. I agree with airjockie that you may be able to order from somewhere else, install them yourself or even hire somebody reputable to do it for cheaper that it sounds like this place will do it. Just trying to lend a brother a hand so they don't take it in the rear end. This project should allow you to come out ahead not feel like you were taken to the cleaners.

I don't think the company I just set up a phone system and catered to their every need over the past week is going to take me to the cleaners. :p As I just said, the guys off-the-head quote was right on par with the other company. 1/2 for 1/2. 3500 for 7, 7000 for 14.

I just want to wait for the in-person inspection and estimations before I'm making a decision.

Back