Considering an integra

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nyquil

well I am considering an integra, 600$ and it's a 91 with full bodykit primered and ready for paint. 5speed with a new clutch. The only problem with it is a misfire in cylinders 1 and 2 which he says could be caused by injectors or a bad head. He is also throwing in a 2001 CRV head. Well I am a complete and utter noob to imports but I would love to learn, is the CRV head useable? If not what would be a reasonably priced substitute/upgrade? I have a year of automotive school under my belt as a ford mechanic :ph34r: please dont kill me.

Thanks guys :mellow:

well if the body and inside is ok get it you can get a used motor for about 500 bucks, the crv head is useable but you will have to put the ls intake manifold on it

What kind of motor would I want. I am only home for 3 more weeks then I go back to school so I need to be able to do all of thise within 3 weeks. If I go junking will it be under 500$ for everything I need to get this thing up and running. Prefferably with more then stock HP since I cant help but build anything I own.

all you need is the motor if you dont get a b18a all you will have to do is convert it to obd1 but if you stick with a b18a it will drop right in and plug right up but you might can find a b18b for about 6 or 700 bucks but you will have to convert it to obd1 very easy, just buy a jumper to do it,the b18b has 145 hp were the b18a has 140 not much of a gain for the work so unless you wont to spend over 1500 bucks just get a b18a,or if you real luckt drop a b17a in it..whats your spending limit on this

Well he wants 600$ for it, and if its just a head I dont know why I would get a whole engine. I think I can get him down to 500 my overall budget is about 1500$ so about 1000$ to get the car running up to par. Depending on how much I like it then and working on it 6-800 more could be made available if I could make it very very reliable aswell as powerful since it would be cutting into my oh-crap the car-broke fund.

well like i said you can use the crv head but you will have to change a few things but i was just saying swap the motor if the motor was bad

I believe the motor is good. Do you know domestics at all because from what I have seen of the pictures of the integra head it looks an awfuly lot like a Lower intake manifold on a ford. If so is it reasonably easily accesable with about 30 minutes of engine disassembly? The job doesnt need a sub-frame drop or engine pull or anything complicated? I want to do this all myself and dont have a shop available to me. With the money im looking at is getting 200BHP NA easy enough? I want to change the injectors anyway just incase their the problem which injectors would you suggest? Also to use the CRV head what kind of work is required? It is very low miles so I am leaning towards it. I could probably also pull a 91 teg head from a donor car for whatever a junkyard would charge me. Is their any gain with a CRV head over a stock head? higher flow etc?
I appreciate the input :)

there will be no gain in power with the crv head, all you have to do is unbolt the old head and put the new one on and then swap the b18a intake manifold over to the crv head no motor pulling is required. but are you meaning 200whp if you do mean that your not gona get it with out a turbo or a hole lot of money and a total rebuild from the ground up

yea 170 whp is good but i think you will need to add a vtec head and cams to get it

Also does the CRV head require any additional parts besides common gaskets? while im in their will I have enough of the engine apart to just get a full gasket kit and change every gasket? if so does this do the job? eBay Motors: ACURA INTEGRA B18A B18B COMPLETE FULL GASKET SET HFSB18 (item 140067696666 end time Dec-30-06 23:23:52 PST)
I also managed to find a donor car already that has Headers and CAI the car im getting has a mugen exhaust kit on it already. What kind of gains will I get from the common IHE? Can I tune it myself using my laptop? Are more aggresive cams in-order?

That was od I just posted something and it showed up to me then I refreshed it and it was gone. Well for the CRV head to work what else do I need? Just gaskets? do the ebay 65$ full gasket sets cover me? How much gain will I get from I/H/E since it comes with a mugen exhaust and I found someone with a dead teg with headers and intake. Can I tune it myself using my laptop? Is their a guide to tuning? What sort of injectors should I use? Do OEM fit my need or should I go with more expensive/better injectors?

oem injectors are fine,yea that gasket set should cover you but i would just go get one from a honda dealership,and this is just a shot but with a b18a with a crv head and i/h/e i would say about 140 whp.but about that head im not real sure but you might have to convert it to obd2 but im not real sure on that part pm one of the guys with 5000+ posts they should no for sure

Alright thanks alot the helps really appreciated. I think im going to end up with a teg and so far so good with this forum too :).

For adding the Vtec head is that just a basic swap aswell? what kind of cams would I put in their ive seen skunk2 stage1 cams and then plenty of cheaper no-name cams. I would need a odb1 jumper harness does that require pulling the engine? I want to find the best use of my time and money and the vtec head sounds like it will give me a good power boost. How hard is the cam-swap for this car?

well make sure you get good name brand cams like skunk2 jun or crower. but it will be the same as the the crv head but if you can find a obdo b16a head you can just use your stock wires and just run the wires for vtec and you will need a new ecu if you go with a vtec head,depending on witch head you buy will determin if you need a jumper harness as long as its obdo you wont

Is their a kit to do it? Im sure I could find a junk civic to take the b16a head from. Will that junk civic have the vtec wires aswell? I was looking at a thread about LS/vtec and that other stuff I was a bit confused. Theirs a bit about drilling into the block for a knock sensor and a way around that using a different ECU would someone on this forum sell said ECU? Whats involved in swapping out the ECU? Also would I need to get a professional tune or could I just use a Wideband 02 sensor and figure it out for myself?
Thanks and sorry for the slew of questions but I pride myself on doing it right the first time.

no dont worrie with the wires use your stock wires, if your just gona go to a junk yard and get a vtec head you will need to convert to obd1 witch a simple jumper harness from rywire will work then just run 2 wires and yes dont worry about a knock sensor you can get around that.but you will have to get oil up to the vtec selnoid so your gona have to run a hose of some kind for that.and its always best to go get it tuned to get the most hp out of it. and go to the stuff for sale section you will find all you need there

Is this a project I could realisticaly do alone with a jack 2 jackstands a myriad of ratchets and a year of automotive experience? Running a oil line to the vtec solenoid sounds reasonably complex. If I use a b16a head from a 89 Civic will I need the harness? Are their ever mod-meets with members on the board who get together and build/tweak? I live in NY and I think this would go alot smoother if I had a knowledgeable import fellow about so I dont go leave something un-oiled and blow something up.

well as far as a meet i have no clue yet i just joiend the form 2 months ago lol, but ask about that oil line for the vtec to one of the older members to be sure, but you will always use your stock harness and just add the wires you are missing it all depends on what head you get your gona have to buy from here or ebay or something to get a obdo 89 civc vtec head because they never came with vtec in the usa that year

Back