Considering Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

My speedshop has recently been given a good condition (4k miles) F22 from an Accord... not sure if it's VTEC or not.

Anyway, the car is a '95 Civic DX Coupe, manual Trans, with A/C. It's getting some sick bodywork done (because parts are cheap and I'm doing a lot of work myself), but I don't want a paper tiger. So I was told today about this F22. Yes I've read that F/H series motors into Civics is tough going, but the bottom line is, I know it can be done with enough work and ingenuity. I'd shell out for a B18 but the simple fact is I am on a college student budget. The plan is to dump in this F22 and apply boost liberally. B)

The other problem is, I'll need to find an ECU and trans, which I doubt will be a problem. Do H series trannies work with F series motors? I know a guy that has a trans from an H23 sitting around...

look for info on swapping an H series into a 5th gen civic... F series swaps are the same

since your on a college budget this might not be the swap for you depending on your hookups

I would say unwaveringly don't waste you time.

It is a pain, not real hard, but enough to make other swaps a better choice. The highest rated it would be is what 140bhp? Not to mention, after the tranny, ECU, mounts, a B18B would be about the same price, and less work.

Makes sense - All I'm getting for free is the block, so I'd have to find a head (VTEC of course), trans, ecu and mounts. Not to mention all the other crap.

The head I was looking at was like $1600 and they quote an increase of 40-60 HP, so the engine would be turning aout 180 before boost, but at the same cost as a H22 setup.

I think I'll pass on this one - anyone know where I can find a cheap turbo that will fit a 1.5? :huh:

Start checking the classifieds on a ton of different boards, check your junkyards, check forums that host cars where people upgrade their stock turbos- DSM sites, WRX, Saab, Volvo etc...

Actually, I just met a guy that's got a D16 SOHC VTEC from a Civ EX in his garage - running. I'm picking it up for 250 bucks and I landed one of the new Edelbrock turbo setups from my speedshop.

So what I need to know now is: The D16 will drop into my current mounts, right? And my current trans will bolt up to it, right? If so, this might be the best 250 bucks I ever spent :eek:

Obviously it won't be, but it will work in the meantime, right? The tranny might have 160k on it but it was babied... (ex-company car)

yeah the tranny will fit ... but i would look for at least a D16Z6 tranny
there is some JDM D series tranny that comes with an LSD ... not sure what its from... but it would be worth finding :)

Do it, shit for that price, you'd be hard pressed to do better.

Back