Convertible CRX?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i like that one hardtop that makes the s2k look kinda like a hatch, know the one? i believe it was by c-west... not sure tho
You mean the one that goes back all the way to the trunk and it kinda makes the S2K look look a CRX but really sexy?

I like that one too.

l_14386577e6acd145de592623035ace99.jpg

Last edited:
Its cool but i wouldn't want one. Id rather have a plain old rex.

pfft get real. if some walks up and says "here guy, you can have this S2K with the spoon hard top." you would grab those keys and run away with that title like a kid at Christmas.

On a side note. that silver 1st gen crx. isnt all 1st gen parts. the hood is from a newer crx. not sure if they switched fenders as well. I dont know if any one noticed. If you look at the black crappy one i posted pics on, theres a two piece to the front.

what i hated the most about the 1st gen crx though. plastic fenders, which is hard to find replacements for. :| as well the bottom trim of the doors was plastic too. Mine had that lovely Si soft spoiler though. which looking at my buddys RSX Type-S he has that same lovely soft spoiler too.

On a side note. that silver 1st gen crx. isnt all 1st gen parts. the hood is from a newer crx. not sure if they switched fenders as well. I dont know if any one noticed. If you look at the black crappy one i posted pics on, theres a two piece to the front.

Hmmm...I'm not seeing the difference... :huh:

EDIT: Oh wait, I see what you mean. On yours there should have been a piece that goes above the headlights? And the silver CR-X doesn't have it?

umm no.. the hood is not from a newer gen.. i believe hosmer had the same hood on his 1st gen

The R. Straman Company of Costa Mesa, CA converted 310 Honda CR-X's into convertibles from 1984 to 1987. The Straman-built CR-X Spyder was the cover car on July, 1984 issue of Road & Track Magazine. These conversions are known as a coach convertible.
Are there CR-X verts? Yes.
Did Honda make them? No.

pfft get real. if some walks up and says "here guy, you can have this S2K with the spoon hard top." you would grab those keys and run away with that title like a kid at Christmas.

Yes i would. I don't like the convertible CRX but the spoon s2000 is beautiful.

But if anyone tried to give me any Honda id grab the keys/title and run! :D

Bringing back an older post and making some clearifacations for you all.

I own the Silver convertible as well as a red one I just recently picked up.

The 1gen convertible crx or Straman crx was a dealer option and was autherized by Honda to be build, Straman did not buy the cars and then convert them. You could get them one of two ways, buy the car from the dealer and take it to Staman Coachwork and have it converted or have the dealer have them do it. Some dealers had it done and then put the car on the lot for sale, eather way the conversion was $4,995.00 on top of the price of the car. The car still came with full factory warrenty and met all safety standards of the time, they are built extreamely well and are much more ridged then the hardtop crx.

Most of the convertibles from the 80's are coach convertible and not factory convertibles but for some reason people like to badmouth the crx convertible more then any of the others I've noticed. Here is a list of coach convertibles, this entire list is coach company built and not factory convertibles.
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_convertible

As for the hood on my silver convertible it is a one piece carben fiber zc hood from Heel toe made for the 1gen crx by Marcus, it is not swapped from another car.

Hope that helps a little, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Doug

Bringing back an older post and making some clearifacations for you all.

I own the Silver convertible as well as a red one I just recently picked up.

The 1gen convertible crx or Straman crx was a dealer option and was autherized by Honda to be build, Straman did not buy the cars and then convert them. You could get them one of two ways, buy the car from the dealer and take it to Staman Coachwork and have it converted or have the dealer have them do it. Some dealers had it done and then put the car on the lot for sale, eather way the conversion was $4,995.00 on top of the price of the car. The car still came with full factory warrenty and met all safety standards of the time, they are built extreamely well and are much more ridged then the hardtop crx.

Most of the convertibles from the 80's are coach convertible and not factory convertibles but for some reason people like to badmouth the crx convertible more then any of the others I've noticed. Here is a list of coach convertibles, this entire list is coach company built and not factory convertibles.
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_convertible

As for the hood on my silver convertible it is a one piece carben fiber zc hood from Heel toe made for the 1gen crx by Marcus, it is not swapped from another car.

Hope that helps a little, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Doug

Welcome to the boards Doug. I believe I've seen you at RPR?

woot!... another Bako member here....

What part of town you in? I'm on the east side.

Here are my 2 convertibles, 87 Si. 1 of 310 built
th_HPIM2489.jpg

and the 84 I just got, saved from the junkyard. This shot is after I put the extra parts I had at home on it.
th_HPIM1860.jpg

Back