Converting D16Y7 - D16Z6 and OBD2 - OBD1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Han_solo1982

SOHC Pocket Rocket
This is my 1st heart transplant (engine swap) i am going from the standard 1998 civic coupe D16Y7 Engine (with the big end knocking - Ouch -) to a 1995 civic Esi Hatch D16Z6 VTEC. I have the engine, gear box, both axles, the Full car wiring Loom, and ECU. I have seen OBD2 - OBD1 converters BUT i am unsure if this will allow for the Vtec to work on the engine and keep the coupe standard wire harness. I need some advice should i just change the whole wire loom out or will the converter harness work to get the engines Vtec working properly???? any advice you can give on this matter would be grand cheers.. John:lol:

1) You can't use the wiring from the earlier Civic in the 96-up models, it is totally incompatible. You need to keep your stock one, or buy one that came with VTEC from the same vintage as your vehicle.
The conversion harness simply reroutes the pins from the stock OBD2 engine harness into the corresponding pinouts of the OBD1 ecu. Since you don't have VTEC wiring in your stock harness, more is necessary than simply plugging in the ecu & converter. You need to add 2 wires into the stock harness and run them out into the engine bay to connect to the solenoid: solenoid trigger wire and solenoid oil pressure wire. In addition you need to add a ground wire for the VTEC oil sensor.

Other than that it's pretty easy, and that isn't terribly hard either. The trans, axles, and stuff all will fit...BUT...you need to use some of your stock engine mounts, notable the side & rear trans brackets, and the upper driver side complete setup.

Back