Converting .dat to .avi files

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

ive dl some movies of kazaa lite and they finished dling but ended up .dat file.. i was pretty pissed.. at least it works, but i cant put it in vcd because its already in vcd format.. ironic.. to elaborate, i cant use nero vcd burn program on the .dat files even though their already vcd format... weird.. anyway, does anyone kno how to convert to .wma/.avi so i canburn them into vcd? ive tried one program but it was terrible.. the converted version was very pixely, even more so, and the cells were different shades.. very unpleaseant.. anyway, thanks for the help in advance.

umm, not neccessarly.. they do have video in .dat form.. i showed B a burnout video a long time ago and it was 60 megs in .DAT form, but it was 6 minutes worth of tire roasting fun :D

that is true.

right click on the file, and select its properties.

click summary tab

at the buttom, you will see what form of video it is- Dvix, Mpeg-3, etc.

after that, you can simply re-name somemovie.dat to somemovie.divx or whatever it is, and as long as you ahve the ight codec and mime settings, it will play just fine

yeah.. i finished dling it and it still was .dat.. yeah it plays on the computer and stuff, but i want it to convert to .avi so i burn it on a disc to make svcd to watch it on dvd players.. so any got anymore suggestions.. btw thanks for the replys

yeah but i dont have a program to write the rest so i can just add the .dat file to make it play on a dvd player.. i tried to do that but didnt work.. so i now im trying to find a converter.. make it into .avi then use nero to burn into to vcd fomat again but with the rest of the files to make it run on a dvd player..

thanks for all the help guys.. i think im almost there.. anyway, does anyone kno how to compress files or chop them up? bceause ive got some really good movies but their like over 700mb.. i wanna know if i can make it into two files like part 1 and part 2 or at least compress them to back it up... tried winzip but have no clue how to use it.. thanks guys

use that digital digest site, they have tons of video tools

Back