Converting my 91 Civic Sedan to a Hatchback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bohemiansmile

Recently my 91 Civic Sedan lost her rear window when a sheet of plywood zipped off my house during some re-roofing work. After the shock wore off, I laughed and thought: How about improving her cargo capacity and accessibility especially since I recently adopted a HUGE dog (lab). She (not the dog) gets of course great mileage (still about 40mpg) a definite asset right now but needs a ton of body work, mostly in the rear. Is this a good time to de-construct her, modify her and make a car that is MORE practical AND gets great mileage. I just cannot bring myself to buy a truck due to the limited MPG.
Is this idea plausible ????????? would I use a hatch off a 91 civic hatchback or the hatch from a 91 Honda CRX (my choice)???????? I'm very handy as a welder but....
Well let me know what you think. All input is welcome. :confused:

Ive seen fodo EFs made into trucks, and that looks pretty cool. But going from a sedan to a hatch just isnt going to be a great idea.

Yes, go ahead and try it. And please post pictures of the results...

Yeah, if you have that much free time and money on your hands, why the hell not?

But if you're just looking for a hatch, go buy a hatch shell and swap your motor into it. You'll be out $500 and be done in a weekend, vs an unknown (very high) amount of cash and several weeks of hard work. The pickup idea has been done several times and done correctly, gives you an oddball mini-truck kinda thing. Would be WAY easier to pull that off than to convert to a hatch.

Last edited:
i know this is kinda an old post but the money and time your going to spen why not just buy a hatch

Make a decision? If you wanna do a hack job, buy a golf and make it a truck. always thought that'd look cool. I'd go with the majority, just swap the motor into a shell. Or pimp yourself an accord wagon.

Back