1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting my 91 Civic Sedan to a Hatchback

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by bohemiansmile, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bohemiansmile

bohemiansmile New Member

Recently my 91 Civic Sedan lost her rear window when a sheet of plywood zipped off my house during some re-roofing work. After the shock wore off, I laughed and thought: How about improving her cargo capacity and accessibility especially since I recently adopted a HUGE dog (lab). She (not the dog) gets of course great mileage (still about 40mpg) a definite asset right now but needs a ton of body work, mostly in the rear. Is this a good time to de-construct her, modify her and make a car that is MORE practical AND gets great mileage. I just cannot bring myself to buy a truck due to the limited MPG.
    Is this idea plausible ????????? would I use a hatch off a 91 civic hatchback or the hatch from a 91 Honda CRX (my choice)???????? I'm very handy as a welder but....
    Well let me know what you think. All input is welcome. :confused:

2. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Ive seen fodo EFs made into trucks, and that looks pretty cool. But going from a sedan to a hatch just isnt going to be a great idea.

3. formby

formby learning in progress

4. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

Yes, go ahead and try it. And please post pictures of the results...

5. 90_EF_Hatch

90_EF_Hatch Señor Member

Why not??

If there is a will, there is a way.

6. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Yeah, if you have that much free time and money on your hands, why the hell not?

But if you're just looking for a hatch, go buy a hatch shell and swap your motor into it. You'll be out $500 and be done in a weekend, vs an unknown (very high) amount of cash and several weeks of hard work. The pickup idea has been done several times and done correctly, gives you an oddball mini-truck kinda thing. Would be WAY easier to pull that off than to convert to a hatch.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  7. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

do that shit...post progress pix,

8. efalex

efalex New Member

i know this is kinda an old post but the money and time your going to spen why not just buy a hatch

9. 92stoccord

92stoccord Big Member VIP

Make a decision? If you wanna do a hack job, buy a golf and make it a truck. always thought that'd look cool. I'd go with the majority, just swap the motor into a shell. Or pimp yourself an accord wagon.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted