Converting ODB1 H22A to OBD2 to pass smog test

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bomber

I have searched on this topic extensively but all I can find about OBD1-->OBD2 is stuff about selling the jumper harnesses or putting newer motor in older chassis. I have the exact opposite problem...I want to convert to OBD2 so I can pass emissions testing.
Currently I have a 1995 JDM H22A in my 4th gen Accord. I bought an EK a few months ago and I want to move the motor over...however my only options are to find someplace outside of the 'emissions testing region' to register my car or actually make it legal.

I am somewhat confused though. I plan on going further than just putting the motor in the car (read that as turbo) so I eventually will be running the AEM EMS. I know that wont pass emissions but as long as I had the car correctly wired I could always plop in an OBD2 ecu when testing came up right? As long as I have the OBD2 version of the EMS everything seems as if it would be ok.

Basically I just need to know which sensors need added/changed to be able to use the ODB2 ECU and not fail. I am aware of the sensor in the gas tank, the secondary 02, the distributor...but past that I am stuck.

Also, would an OBD2 GSR ECU be able to pass the emissions testing with the H22A? I know it would not be an optimal choice, but again I am planning on running the AEM EMS so I don't really want to buy the very expensive OBD2 H22A4 ecu (w/o immobilzer) if I don't have to (but I will if it comes down to it).

Is this even possible? Should I just sell my H22A and get an OBD2 motor to begin with?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Apr 14 2004, 09:31 PM
what year is your car? And what state are you from?

Its a 1997 hatch (so obd2a right?).

I live in Oregon. All they do for OBD2 test is hook up to the data port and read if there are any errors. I am hoping that I can figure out what I need to add to my motor so that it can pass.

well i had a b18c1 in my 95 coupe and i passed fine. I guess because in md all they did is hook up a hose and check my gas pressure. Sorry i cant help to0 much but HS helped me out just give it a day or so you will have the answers u need or be on the right track.

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Apr 14 2004, 10:05 PM
well i had a b18c1 in my 95 coupe and i passed fine. I guess because in md all they did is hook up a hose and check my gas pressure. Sorry i cant help to0 much but HS helped me out just give it a day or so you will have the answers u need or be on the right track.

95 would be OBD1 tho right? Our OBD1 and below test consists of a roller dyno and the exhaust sniffer. The H22A can pass that (since its OBD1 motor) but the OBD2 test is going to fail due to the missing sensors.

Thanks.

Did you figure this out?

I have searched on this topic extensively but all I can find about OBD1-->OBD2 is stuff about selling the jumper harnesses or putting newer motor in older chassis. I have the exact opposite problem...I want to convert to OBD2 so I can pass emissions testing.
Currently I have a 1995 JDM H22A in my 4th gen Accord. I bought an EK a few months ago and I want to move the motor over...however my only options are to find someplace outside of the 'emissions testing region' to register my car or actually make it legal.

Is this even possible? Should I just sell my H22A and get an OBD2 motor to begin with?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, what did you end up doing? I have a 98 civic with a H22A and need to go to the DQ.

Last edited:
hmm.. my last post didnt go through. I am in OR also. I have a 98 Civic with an H22A. How did you get this done? I am in dire need of figuring this one out. ;)

Back