cooking for a vegitarian

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

*waits for jeffie flame* seriously dude....i atleast use prego MARINARA sauce (dont whip out brand names yizzle)

You have 193048230948 options as far as food goes.

Pasta is easy and probably a good place to start. Since you can't do the alfredo with heavy cream due your lactore intolerancy, pick a different sauce and a different pasta. Perhaps a pesto or marinara sauce. All three are pretty easy to make, although the marinara will be the cheapest and easiest of the three.

Instead of buying garlic bread, which is loaded with saturated fat and also trans fat, buy a fresh french baguette from the bakery at the mega mart, and make long, thing slices diagonal to the loaf. Depending on how serious you want to be, this is where I would infuse olive oil with garlic or shallots. They I would brush both sides of the bread with a light coating of the olive oil and just throw on the grill or in a grill pan on the stove until you get light brown grill marks.

Use a pasta like penne or rigatoni; a pasta with lots of surface area that will allow the sauce to stick all over is better suited for a sauce like marinara.

As far as the salad goes, stick with what jeffie said. A nice blend of lettuce, like romain, iceberg and the spring mix brings a lot of variety to a salad and also is very visually pleasing. Another option is grabbing croutons, a little anchovie paste, just romaine lettuce and whipping up a fresh caesar dressing. A fresh caesar salad really compliments a nice pasta dinner and is super simple to make, since you can skip peppers, onions and all the other ingredients usually found in a dinner salad.

Along those lines, a simpler solution might by just having a nice big caesar salad for dinner. Simple for you to make a head of time, you could even toast your own croutons from the rest of the french bread you bought, and top the salad off with a nice blackened salmon filet for her and possibly steak or chicken for you.

If you need recipes, or more complicated and impressive ideas, you know how to reach me homie. :)

Last edited:
reikoshea said:
*waits for jeffie flame* seriously dude....i atleast use prego MARINARA sauce (dont whip out brand names yizzle)

whatever:rolleyes: with fancy smancy names. Its tomato past damnit! ragu, pregu its all the same to me. the only ones that really matter are the ones that have the garlic in it. other than that they taste the same

reckedracing said:
well, once again jeffie steps up and makes us all look retarded...

i'm rather jealous of your cooking skills...
what jeffie listed isnt hard, it just takes time, some reading, and patience. Cooking is fun, but it sucks cooking for one person :( sometimes. All you really need is the recipe, ingredients, and a brain... done. ^_^ cooking is easy.

Seany-izzle said:
what jeffie listed isnt hard, it just takes time, some reading, and patience. Cooking is fun, but it sucks cooking for one person :( sometimes. All you really need is the recipe, ingredients, and a brain... done. ^_^ cooking is easy.

I'm working on a website on a DYI for cooking with pictures and all that fun stuff. pretty much a cooking for dummies, oh wait thats taken... cooking for jackasses cook book =)

anywho, cooking for 1 isnt bad, you get to try new things you wouldnt normally try with 2 people. I do have to say cooking is easy with a recipe and brain however, there's a lot of things that do take A LOT of skill.

Pate a choux can be tricky (that's use for puff pastry AKA what you would use for eclairs) same goes for a lot of caking and sugar use. sugar is VERY sensitive.

anywho, B what ever you do, make sure you cooking it two times.

Onces for pratice and a 2nd time for the girl.

Also keep in mind things like bread can be done the day before (if making garlic bread)

P.S the Risotto is made with mushrooms, onion, and lots of FREASH parm. Super simple, I have pictures of the how to already taken I just need to put them together on the website, hopefully by this weekend.

Yeah, I agree with Clayton. There is nothing easier, tastier and more vegetarian to eat than Japanese cooking. Simply remove meat, and it's still good.

Celerity said:
Yeah, I agree with Clayton. There is nothing easier, tastier and more vegetarian to eat than Japanese cooking. Simply remove meat, and it's still good.
problem is, a real vegitarian will not eat it. My girl can taste the difference. I gues they are so used to not eating meat they develope a extra super taste bud or something. She knows if the veggies have been cooked in the same oil as meat. If i bring her something from a buffet and it touched my chicken or steak she can taste it right away and will not eat it. weird:confused:

And in case you wanna know why she became vegitarian, Her dad passed away of a heart attack when she was in the 8 going into 9th grade. High blood pressure runs in the family so she just figured it would be healthier for her not to eat meat. seafood is ok though:rolleyes:

Sodium causes high blood pressure, not meat.

Since meat is not naturally high in sodium, I don't get it. Animals aren't even that high in saturated fat, which is another cause of heart attack. Butter, milk and lard are high in sat. fat so I could understand staying away from them.

Marinades and sauces have alot of sodium. Doesnt cholesterol have something to do with high blood pressure?? Youre right, its everything else you eat with that steak that is doing the most damage and also how you cook it and what you cook it in that can do it.

Exactly. You can absolutely have the steak, chicken, or well ok, pork and ham are the worst of the meats. But lean beef and chicken are not going to cause high cholesterol and/or high blood pressure.

But cooking them, or serving them with saturated fats, trans fats, or gobs of salt certainly are.

Not trying to be a douche toward you or your girl Taco, I don't mean any harm, but I'm just saying that having low cholesterol and low blood pressure doesn't mean giving up meat.

:)

Slammed90Lude said:
Sodium causes high blood pressure, not meat.

Since meat is not naturally high in sodium, I don't get it. Animals aren't even that high in saturated fat, which is another cause of heart attack. Butter, milk and lard are high in sat. fat so I could understand staying away from them.

Depending on the meat, meats can have large amounts of saturated fat - red meat specifically.

The benefit of going vegitarian is in the cholesterol. Plants don't produce cholestrol, animals, however do produce cholesterol. Thats a heart attack life saver right there. Infact in the late 1980's there was a famous study done in California that was the first study to produce evidence that coronary artery disease *IS* reversible - at the time it was thought that if the plaque was in the arteries there was no way to reverse the problem.

The point of this study was that the participants were kept to a very strict vegetarian diet and told to exercise 3-5times a week, along with being involved in a stress management program (see: counseling, yoga, breathing techniques, etc.) The name of the study eludes me, but its the basis for much of today's modern Western medicine.

Seany-izzle said:
Marinades and sauces have alot of sodium. Doesnt cholesterol have something to do with high blood pressure?? Youre right, its everything else you eat with that steak that is doing the most damage and also how you cook it and what you cook it in that can do it.

These "sauces" only are loaded in sodium because of the perservatives. If you make the sauces from scratch, the sodium content isn't anywhere close to those levels.

Go look at a package of Ramen or soup. Now think of how long those foods are perserved for before they're sold at the store, and being consumption in the home. Canned items could be years old before they're eaten - its all in the perservatives.

Homemade food is heavenly for the body when compared to processed food - this is why in my opinion people could eat sticks of butter, lard, have red meat everyday and do drink their liter of vodka in the '50 's and still be "healthy as an ox". It wasn't the best thing for the body, but in my opinion its comparable to that of eating at McDonalds or any fast food place.

Also lean meats aren't high in saturated fat - duh thats why they're lean, but if you don't get 98% lean ground beef or a lean cut steak than the food is riddled with saturated fat.

If its natural and high protein, its usually going to have a good amount of fat and cholesterol - its just how the world works. Take red meat or eggs for example.

Right, I know that some meats are loaded with saturated fat. Wasn't disuputing that.

What I was trying to say, and I believe I did say in the last line of my post, is that keeping cholesterol and blood pressure low doesn't mean giving up meat, nor does giving up meat ensure low numbers.

I only eat lean ground beef, deer, boneless skinless chicken breast and an occasional boneless pork chop and my numbers are both in the basement.

Of course I cook with very little salt, and only with olive oil and very sparingly vegetable oil. No butter, no shortening, no lard, no eggs. Only soy milk or 1% milk.

And obviously no fast food. Ever.

Last edited:
Slammed90Lude said:
Right, I know that some meats are loaded with saturated fat. Wasn't disuputing that.

What I was trying to say, and I believe I did say in the last line of my post, is that keeping cholesterol and blood pressure low doesn't mean giving up meat, nor does giving up meat ensure low numbers.

I only eat lean ground beef, deer, boneless skinless chicken breast and an occasional boneless pork chop and my numbers are both in the basement.

Of course I cook with very little salt, and only with olive oil and very sparingly vegetable oil. No butter, no shortening, no lard, no eggs. Only soy milk or 1% milk.

And obviously no fast food. Ever.
I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass, but the best way to have low cholesterol is to be vegetarian. If we're talking strictly in terms of cholesterol.

There's so many other benefits from being a carnivore but there's also a need to watch things like cholesterol.

I eat eggs everyday and my cholesterol is low due to exercise, and my HDL cholesterol levels in comparison to LDL cholesterol levels is well above the recommended ratio.

It all comes down to lifestyle, but if you have serious risk of coronary artery disease, its probably not a bad idea to cut down on most of your meat intake and be very very strict about your food choices. Of course you have to take genetics into account as well.

***I wasn't trying to start an argument or neccesarily stand up for vegetarians simply because I don't subscribe to that lifestyle, because I feel its healthier to have a well rounded diet, but I just meant to point out a highlight of the lifestyle for those who have specific goals and health concerns.

Our cholesterol levels would be even more minimal if we were vegetarians but then again we more than likely wouldn't carry the muscle mass we do or have the muscular endurance that we possess. Everything has its up side and down side - I just don't like knocking people's lifestyles unless its completely unhealthy like smoking and eating fast food 24/7.

Last edited:
I have high blood pressure.

But I tried the super healthy thing, running, excersizing, watching very carefully what I eat, and it lowered it like 5 points. Not worth the trouble. I'm only like 140/75 anyway.

What the hell is she looking at?????

Oh i know

big49ja.jpg

RAWRRRRRRRRRR!!!

wow...jeef outa nowhere with the idb.

Back