Coolant system d15b vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
I swapped my d15b vtec and I'm having a leak, it's freezing outside so currently it's just sitting with the bigger hose d/c'd. I noticed I'm missing a ground strap the one that goes on the thermostat housing. How am I supposed to put that on? It's supposed to be connected to the engine wire harness, right? I don't see any wires hangin out from the engine harness at all, so how can I wire up that ground which I don't even have? What would be the effects if I wired it up? Does this possibly have something to do with my temp. gauge in my cluster not working? Could this have caused my last engine to overheat, since it's the same harness?

I'm having all kinds of wiring problems the transmission ground wasn't even there either I just put that back on, and there's more wires missing I'm pretty sure.

Thanks to anyone who helps out.

I swapped my d15b vtec and I'm having a leak, it's freezing outside so currently it's just sitting with the bigger hose d/c'd. I noticed I'm missing a ground strap the one that goes on the thermostat housing. How am I supposed to put that on? It's supposed to be connected to the engine wire harness, right? I don't see any wires hangin out from the engine harness at all, so how can I wire up that ground which I don't even have? What would be the effects if I wired it up? Does this possibly have something to do with my temp. gauge in my cluster not working? Could this have caused my last engine to overheat, since it's the same harness?

I'm having all kinds of wiring problems the transmission ground wasn't even there either I just put that back on, and there's more wires missing I'm pretty sure.

Thanks to anyone who helps out.
That's weird that your car even started with that ground not being there. If there is any ground that is the most important, that's the one. Is any of the ground wire coming out of the harness? if there is you can just solder on some wire and bolt it down to the T-Stat housing. It could be part of the problem for your temp gauge not working but most likely it's because you don't have the coolant temp sensor plugged in since you said your are still missing wires. Then again if the sensor isn't plugged in you should be throwing a code. IDK, your car seems weird lol.

Yea...my car was pretty much the town whore before I got my hands on it. Fucking ricers made a mess. I'm positive there's no extra wires hangin out from the harness everything had a matching sensor. Couldn't I just cut part of the loom near the T-stat housing, strip some wires and splice a ground strap around it?

By the way since I've never seen the ground I don't know what size it's supposed to be. Like when I put on the tranny ground, I made my own ground then found out when I got to school that the ground strap I put on was half as thick as it should be and I took the old tranny ground from the d15b7. Could someone post a pic of that ground wire for me? Or let me know where I could get one?

By the way what makes that ground so much more important than the others? Hopefully that'll put an end to the IAT and IACV codes that are flashing even tho the sensors are brand new.

I'm definitly a noob to this, so I'll probably be taking it to this specialty Honda shop called "Hondamotive" down the street, my brother knows the owner's son maybe I can get hooked up. If I don't get this fixed soon I'll take it in there and ask to have a technician check the wiring schematics and make sure everything's there.

But that'll only be if I don't fix it myself in the next month or so.

It's important because everything needs a power and a ground. Most of the electrical grounds in the car go to that one ground on the t-stat.

If you can open the wire loom up a bit and see any part of the main ground, then yeah, just solder on an extention wire and bolt it to the t-stat housing. The bolt is just a small 10mm.

And what if I can't find any part of the main ground? Could I just open the wire loom and strip all the wires and splice them all to a ground like I mentioned or does it have to be from the ground that's already supposed to be there?

By the way thanks a lot for the help.

And another thing that's weird..before the swap, my radiator fan wasn't coming on at all. The coolant wasn't circulating either. Then after I swapped, the radiator fan turns on when the key is on without even starting the engine and stays on after that. It's strange, but at least it works now.

the main ground wire is separate from all the other wires within that section of wire in the wire loom. you either have to find it or not run one at all.

The fan turns on when you stick the key in because it's hard wired to a hot wire that gets power when the ignition is turned on. Probably done by the previous ricer who had that car before you lol

Actually I'm looking at the harness that came with my d15b vtec, and I found a bunch of grounds but I'm not sure which ones are on my other harness. I think I'll buy a new engine harness from a Z6 or something if it turns out I'm missing a bunch of grounds.

Alright I went outside and checked it the ground for the t-stat housing is just grounded on a bracket beside it, I know it's the right ground because it comes off the same part of the loom as the one on my d15b wire harness. I checked the whole bay for loose grounds there's none, and the only one I had to begin with was that tranny ground which I took care of. Thanks!

same problem occured to me dude just that mine wouldnt over heat, there should be 3 ground wires, one on the valve cover that connects to the radiator support, another on the tranny, and one from the harness to the thermostat, my car would go crazy, gauges would jump up and down and shut off on me on any stop, try putting maybe a washer on the thermostat one or sand it up a little so it could make contact and change the one on the valve cover, you could use a fatter wire gauge like from car audio for the amps and shit that will work good.

Back