coolent to intake manifold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

highperboi

the other day i read this post saying they were gonna unplug the coolent hose to the intake manifold so that the air wouldnt be heated before going into the engine. i am curious on how to do this and what is the down side?

o well w/e its a legit question

im just anal cuz its late at night and i was playing Gran Tursimo and got my 250hp vitz BEATEN by 5 OTHER MOTHERFUCKING 80hp stock vitzs ARG damn computer cheats I TELL YOU :wtf: ahhh now i feel cleansed

neway *sigh* yeah ive heard of its and hondata is the place to go...im not sure itll work wonders but it has its advantages

well i wasnt talking about that thing. i ment um just like disconnecting the coolent hose and connecting it somewhere else so coolent doenst worm the intakemanifold up. is there anything bad about it?

and what exactly would you be connecting the hose to?

ive never heard of doing...i personally dont think its a bright idea

:shrug2:

I think I know what youre talking about. another web site posted it as a tip for "free" horsepower.

what you do is switch out the coolant lines to the throttle body so that no hot coolant circulates through it. if the coolant isnt flowing through, it doesnt heat up the throttle body, thus the air passing through the throttle body doesnt get heated up either. cooler air = denser air = more power. (Think of AEM's cold air intake).

I dont know how much you can expect, but I dont think could be THAT much, else everybody would be doing it.

Downside is that if you live in cold climates, it's said you could freeze your throttle plate shut. I don't really know how likely that is though.

I live on a Pacific island where the weather never drops below 70, so I did it, and haven't noticed any ill effects. I like the idea of "free" horsepower, so Ill keep it like that. :roll: :roll:

Originally posted by legutki@Aug 14 2003, 02:13 PM
so you just disconnect them and plug it up or what

no, just bypass it with 1 longer hose, instead of 2 short hoses (between the 2 hoses would be your TB)

you could disconnect them and plug them up, or just reroute them. there are two hoses going to the throttle body from the engine that run the coolant to and from the block. what I did is I unplugged one hose (the shorter one) connected to the throttle body from its connection and plugged it into the connection for the other hose so that it forms a "U" in and out of the TB. Then I just connected a longer hose to the nipples from the engine.

I think the nipple locations on the engine and TB will depend on what car you drive. The locations on my TB (y7) were right next to each other near the base of the TB.

HEHEHEHE......... got away with saying "nipple" :D

Go with waht b16 said, disconnect and then just replace with one long hose, it's easy, but your idle will be effected in the morning :)

Milan

how will it run in the morning?? and what are actual gains?? any gains at all? would you see them on dyno?

Originally posted by highperboi@Aug 15 2003, 12:48 AM
how will it run in the morning?? and what are actual gains?? any gains at all? would you see them on dyno?

My thoughts exactly. And to add to it, does anyone know WHY coolant is run through the manifold? There is a reason, you know.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Aug 15 2003, 07:46 AM-->
highperboi
@Aug 15 2003, 12:48 AM

My thoughts exactly. And to add to it, does anyone know WHY coolant is run through the manifold? There is a reason, you know.

care to enlighten us Loco?
why does coolant run through the manifold?

what if you routed lines from your A/C compressor to the intake manifold instead, that would be a real "cold air intake"

to keep the tb from freezing up in the winter. does this give any noticeable gain?

Originally posted by Dman1100@Aug 15 2003, 02:17 PM
to keep the tb from freezing up in the winter. does this give any noticeable gain?

Bingo, and no.

As for running your AC to the intake... Why not just have the blower fan blowing air through the AC condenser and into the intake? I'll tell ya why- because you'd lose more power from turning the AC compressor than you'd make by lowering the intake charge. To date, the only way to get HP from nothing is with a turbo.

Actually, it doesn't even have to be below freezing to ice up. Under the right humidity levels, you can experience icing on a summer day. When the air goes through a venturi (the throttle body at partial throttle), it speeds up. When it speeds up, the pressure drops, and when the pressure drops, the freezing point comes up. If there's enough humidity in the air, ice will form. That's why you *ALWAYS* pull carb heat in an aircraft at lower RPMs. Even on a 95° day, ice could form.

Back