Cooling fan fuse keeps blowing...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

guts311

once again i have a 94 ex coupe with frankenstein Si head on a gs-r block....the cooling fan isnt working...everytime we put a new 15 or 20 amp fuse in the box for the fan, it seems to blow....usually it blows when we think the fan was about to come on. and because it isnt working, the car was being backed up and dirven forward only a few feet over and over again into a garage for about 8 minutes and the antifreeze tank started smoking a little and bubbling (actually it sprayed under the hood cause the antifreeze tank lock wasnt closed all the way for sum reason) ....bu tim guessing it wouldnt have overheated from that if the fan went on and worked properly...any ideas?? ive heard the fan could have a bad ground or sumthing...im not sure which car the fan is from either, it could be the civic one or the gs-r one..who knows...but i have no a/c also if that helps...could it be a bad ground or the connection or sumthing? help!!!

Originally posted by guts311@Aug 13 2004, 09:31 AM
once again i have a 94 ex coupe with frankenstein Si head on a gs-r block....the cooling fan isnt working...everytime we put a new 15 or 20 amp fuse in the box for the fan, it seems to blow....usually it blows when we think the fan was about to come on. and because it isnt working, the car was being backed up and dirven forward only a few feet over and over again into a garage for about 8 minutes and the antifreeze tank started smoking a little and bubbling (actually it sprayed under the hood cause the antifreeze tank lock wasnt closed all the way for sum reason) ....bu tim guessing it wouldnt have overheated from that if the fan went on and worked properly...any ideas?? ive heard the fan could have a bad ground or sumthing...im not sure which car the fan is from either, it could be the civic one or the gs-r one..who knows...but i have no a/c also if that helps...could it be a bad ground or the connection or sumthing? help!!!
[post=376302]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd try and spin the fan by hand to see if it's seized. If the motor is seized then it will draw too much current and blow the fuse. If that's not the problem, then you might have a short to ground in the fan wiring; either before the relay or after.

Originally posted by ohmstable@Aug 13 2004, 10:37 PM
then you might have a short to ground in the fan wiring; either before the relay or after.
[post=376691]Quoted post[/post]​

This was going to be my first guess. Thats what was happening to B's swapped b18. kept popping a fuse because of a short.

Originally posted by guts311@Aug 13 2004, 09:31 AM
the antifreeze tank started smoking a little and bubbling (actually it sprayed under the hood cause the antifreeze tank lock wasnt closed all the way for sum reason) ....bu tim guessing it wouldnt have overheated from that if the fan went on and worked properly...any ideas??

the only way pressure from the cooling system will escape from the coolant resivour (sp?) is if your radiator cap is no good.

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR+Aug 14 2004, 01:53 AM-->
@Aug 13 2004, 09:31 AM
the antifreeze tank started smoking a little and bubbling (actually it sprayed under the hood cause the antifreeze tank lock wasnt closed all the way for sum reason) ....bu tim guessing it wouldnt have overheated from that if the fan went on and worked properly...any ideas??

the only way pressure from the cooling system will escape from the coolant resivour (sp?) is if your radiator cap is no good.
[post=376746]Quoted post[/post]​

no the cap on the small filler reservoir (for antifreeze) was loose (the smaller tank that u put the antifreeze in and it connects to the main, bigger reservoir)

Originally posted by guts311+Aug 14 2004, 04:40 PM-->
Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Aug 14 2004, 01:53 AM
guts311

no the cap on the small filler reservoir (for antifreeze) was loose (the smaller tank that u put the antifreeze in and it connects to the main, bigger reservoir)
[post=376901]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats not a filler resevoir...thats an overflow tank. The only way coolant will excape is if it's overflowing.

Originally posted by revolution8k+Aug 14 2004, 05:06 PM-->
Originally posted by guts311@Aug 14 2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Aug 14 2004, 01:53 AM
guts311

[post=376901]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats not a filler resevoir...thats an overflow tank. The only way coolant will excape is if it's overflowing.
[post=376911]Quoted post[/post]​

so should i put the antifreeze in the overflow or the main bigger one? and does it really matter?

what bigger one are u talking about???? as far as i know u should only have one resevoir and that would be the overflow...and you want to put your coolant in the radiaotr mang right in thehole where the cap goes

Originally posted by driver1@Aug 14 2004, 06:44 PM
what bigger one are u talking about???? as far as i know u should only have one resevoir and that would be the overflow...and you want to put your coolant in the radiaotr mang right in thehole where the cap goes
[post=376928]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

put the coolant in the radiator itself.

Originally posted by revolution8k+Aug 15 2004, 02:55 AM-->
@Aug 14 2004, 06:44 PM
[post=376928]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

put the coolant in the radiator itself.
[post=377055]Quoted post[/post]​

o ok thanks..but back to my other problem now...my friend mechanic warmed my car up for about 20 minutes and the temp went up about 1/2 way up on the temp gauge after reving it and shit to warm it up..and eventually the antifreeze starting leaking out of the overflow again...and before this, he tested the fan and it worked with the wires setup correctly..so the fan works, but he told me that i need a new thermostat because mine isnt opening up or sumthing...so i went to autozone and bought a 93 gs-r thermostat and gasket, which i think is right cause i have a 92-93 gs-r b17a1 block and a 99 si head, so the gs-r thermostat is the right one to get, right? and hes gonna drain the system and replace it soon i think so...does this sound like it would fix the problem? he said the ecu reads for the fan to turn on but the thermostat causes the fuse to blow cause the ecu is trying to do sumthing it cant or something along those lines...does this all sound correct and like a good way to fix it?

if coolant is flowing out of the overflow tank when it's warm then it sounds like there is way too much coolant in there.

then get a cap for the overflow tank.

Back