1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cooling fan problem...

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> BA-BB /CA-CD' started by eluded, Apr 13, 2004.

1. eluded

eluded Junior Member

okay, so here's the problem: i just swapped a jdm h22a into my 94 lude si. everything runs great except when the car is running, the cooling fan does not come on. when i shut the car off, the cooling fan starts up and doesn't stop. could someone tell me why my fan runs when the car is off, but not when it's on? i was thinking it could possibly be the relay or one of the engine coolant temperature switches. any suggestions?? thank you

2. sleepn_accord

sleepn_accord Senior Member

did you swap the front water outlet housing with your h23 one? If I recall correctly, even the USDM h-series had a temperture switch on the front outlet, whereas the JDM didn't.

3. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

^^

sounds like there is an inverse reading on an ECU pin.

4. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

sounds like the wiring is switched or something... :withstupid: :concur:

5. eluded

eluded Junior Member

no i didn't swap the front water outlet housing from my H23, at least i don't think so. i'm not quite sure where that is located...
    i also kind of think there is an wire switched somewhere, but it's only a thought. i was thinking about the power supply possibly being switched. i still don't know what i should do :(

6. rtpassini

rtpassini Member

did you look for a missing sensor on the water neck?

7. tab

tab Super Moderator

See the little green plug on the waterneck next to my header? You can either rob that off of your old engine(O-ring seal, no gasket required) or you can find the other switch(there are two). Splice the wiring together to make one switch turn on both fans. IMHO, it's much simpler to rob the waterneck, and plug in the stock switch.
    [​IMG]

This would be my guess. Inverted wiring could happen, but that'd take some effort. Double check your wiring, because it sounds like something is plugged in at the wrong place. Turn the car off, let the fan run. Unplug each harness end until the fan stops.

8. eluded

eluded Junior Member

alright, well i'll have some time today to work on it, so i will definitely look at the stuff everyone mentioned. thanks to all and i will report back when i can. B)

9. sleepn_accord

sleepn_accord Senior Member

tab - is that a checker's distributor cap? :lol:

I thought I was the only one with a grey dizzy cap.

10. eluded

eluded Junior Member

okay, yeah i just checked and there is no switch on the front water outlet housing. do i need one there? i really don't have the option of swapping the one off of my h23 because i'm selling it to my friend to put into his car.

tab--> i know you said something about splicing the wiring so one switch turns on both fans...what exactly do i splice and stuff because i'll probably have to go that route. thanks.

11. rtpassini

rtpassini Member

yeah that engine is mine. haha. but i cant have a/c so can he take it? or will my fan also be screwed up. could i use the one off my d series?

12. tab

tab Super Moderator

they must single out the Auto H22 boys :lol: :lol: :lol:

My engine came with a brand new dizzy cap. Too bad it was for an external coil dizzy :blink: .

Carquest found it in the book, and there it is. :D

13. tab

tab Super Moderator

Um for five bucks+shipping, I'll send out a spare I have in my garage. If you are in a hurry, you can let the wire hang for a while. Or, if you're extremely cheap, you can splice the wires together.

I don't know 100% what this entails, but it can't be that hard. There are two switches on USDM engines. One switch for each fan. On JDM engines, they only use one switch, which turns on both fans. So whichever switch wire tells your fan to come on could be spliced into the other fan wire, just like JDM.

Took me about two minutes to switch that waterneck, and no wiring problems.

Just so you know, unless it's damn hot outside, my fans don't even turn. I swear, I got a bum radiator last year(been nine months), so I had to trade it out earlier tonight. I filled the new radiator up with fluid and let the car idle for over 20 minutes, and neither fan ever came on. The temp guage is rock steady on the lower side of normal(about 1/3 up the normal range). I literally knew that my radiator had failed because the guage went up an extra 1/8 of an inch.

Good to know huh? ;)

Oh, PM me if you want that waterneck and switch, I won't burn you on the shipping.

14. rtpassini

rtpassini Member

i think he'll be all for that, if not. ill pay it so he can get it. thanks for helping him/us out. haha (cause then hed have to steal it off my engine. lol)

15. eluded

eluded Junior Member

yeah i would be all for that, except i don't have a green plug to plug into it. on the jdm harness, that plug doesn't exist, so what would i do then? i know the wire that is supposed to hook up to it is white w/yellow stripe and where the harness connects, that wire is there, but i don't know where it goes after that. if you could let me know how i could plug it in, i would definitely buy it from you.

16. tab

tab Super Moderator

You should have used your stock harness. No biggie. I don't believe this will give you a code. ECT(engine coolant temperature sensor) is seperate from the two switches and the sender(for your dash). Figure out which fan is working first off. After you figure that out, I'm sure it's just a matter of making a jumper wire from one fan to the other. My fans have plugs that are a bitch to get loose. They are mounted on the side of the fan housing. The two fans probably have a common wire.(either ground or +power). The switch will provide the other. I'm sure you can do that. I wouldn't bother adding a switch if you don't have the wiring.

My offer is open to anyone who needs a switch. The five bucks is just a token to make it worth my time.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted