cooling fan trouble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Baserloks

need some help with my cooling fan...my original cooling fan froze on me and fried up the fan and fan wiring all the way through the harness back to the firewall...it also caused a short to the 15 amp cooling fan fuse under the dash and the 30 amp passive fuse on the positive terminal and the wires on the back of the temperature sensor behind the block keep frying up after i change them out...i got a new cooling fan and hardwired it to come on manually but would like to fix it to come back on normal...when i place a new cooling fan fuse under the dash and put a new fuse on the passive terminal and connect the fan it's just normal warming up...as soon as the temperature switch sensor turns on to signal my cooling fan to turn on it automatically burns the two wires on the temperature switch sensor behind the block and burns out the same two fuses...i need to know where to bypass the fan wires through the harness and where they both go to so that it could turn back on automatically...the original fan wiring is shorted out completely...the car is a 91 civic lx (5 speed)...!!!

the cooling fan switch on the back of the block is a switch in the ground cicuit for the fan and should have no power to it - when the switch is open, your fan does not have a ground, so it doesn't come on - when the switch closes, it completes the ground and the fan comes on - somehow, you have a 'hot' power wire connected to the ground circuit - when the switch closes, you end up grounding the power line creating a dead short which blows the fuses and burns up the wires - you didn't say whether the car had A/C with an additional cooling fan? - here are the cooling fan wiring diagrams for US and CAN models:

91-23-83-3.jpg

91-23-84.jpg

here is the location of the fan relays:

bay-3.jpg

it has a/c with a additional fan motor but i removed it too...only have the new cooling fan connected...i put a new cooling fan motor but want to run both wires directly to the source of the old wires that shorted through the harness...thats a nice diagram but i dont want to screw up...can you tell me where to run each wire from the fan motor directly and show a pic of where both of them should end...thanks...!!!

hey i need help to i just replaced the rad cap thermo upper hose and bypass inlet hose on my 92 accord ex and my hoses feel like they are goin to burst im not sure if my fans are even kickin on how can i test that ???

hey i need help to i just replaced the rad cap thermo upper hose and bypass inlet hose on my 92 accord ex and my hoses feel like they are goin to burst im not sure if my fans are even kickin on how can i test that ???

first i'd go to the correct subforum, and then second, make my own thread ;)

Back