Cooling fan wiring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cycloneb18c3

Ok Im trying to wire up my cooling fan..it never worked after it got swapped.
I dont want to use any of the existing wiring/relays.
I came up with this picture, but i want to figure out how to get the ECT switch hooked into this.
I want the cooling fan to come on when the engine needs it to(use of the ECT switch)
and I want to be able to turn it on with a switch when ever I want(as long as the igniton is on)
heres a diagram i came up with..
radiatorfanwiring.jpg

so what do I need to do in order to hook the ECT switch into this?
I was thinking possibly insted of having the switch putting power to activate the relay, have the relay being fed power from positive ignition wire all the time, but just break the ground.
like this diagram:
radiatorfanwiring1.jpg

give me any thoughts you guys may have.
thanks
dan

Well as it sits now... the fan doesnt kick on itself
I have a switch wired in with my own wires, but i dont want to forget to turn it on, or shut if off(drain battery)
that and the switch i have gets red hot..so i figured id wire in a relay so it all works again, and works right.

Quoted post[/post]]
Well as it sits now... the fan doesnt kick on itself
I have a switch wired in with my own wires, but i dont want to forget to turn it on, or shut if off(drain battery)
that and the switch i have gets red hot..so i figured id wire in a relay so it all works again, and works right.
The switch needs to be of a higher amperage if it's getting red hot... the autozone F&F NAWZ switch is a no go.

the ECT originally is suppost to supply a ground to turn it on. pretty much, the way you want it wired, is how it is wired.

minus your seperate in-cabin switch.

i've done mine the same way, i ran my own seperate wiring for it, then installed a relay, then now ditched the switch, and left it to the ECT to turn it on & off..

dont worry about forgetting the switch. ive had mine wired to a switch for about 6 months now. Forgot it day 2 at the movies, and the car still stayed on. I have not forgotten sense. You just take the keys hit the switch and get outa the car. Its like the normal routine now.

well yea, as long as i wire the power to the ignition, then as soon as i turn the car off, the fan will die, reguardless of how the switch is(on or off)

well yea as long as I wire the fan to an ignition controlled wire, then it will shut off no matter what the switch position is when i turn the key off.
thanks for all your help.
does anyone know if that relay is hooked up correctly in my diagram(2nd one?)

or u could use the ac fan plug and leave the ac botton on it kick on when u start car kick off when u turn it off

Quoted post[/post]]
well yea, as long as i wire the power to the ignition, then as soon as i turn the car off, the fan will die, reguardless of how the switch is(on or off)

well yea as long as I wire the fan to an ignition controlled wire, then it will shut off no matter what the switch position is when i turn the key off.
thanks for all your help.
does anyone know if that relay is hooked up correctly in my diagram(2nd one?)
The way you have it drawn out, it should work.

Back