1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling fan wiring

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by cycloneb18c3, May 2, 2006.

1. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

Ok Im trying to wire up my cooling fan..it never worked after it got swapped.
    I dont want to use any of the existing wiring/relays.
    I came up with this picture, but i want to figure out how to get the ECT switch hooked into this.
    I want the cooling fan to come on when the engine needs it to(use of the ECT switch)
    and I want to be able to turn it on with a switch when ever I want(as long as the igniton is on)
    heres a diagram i came up with..
    [​IMG]

so what do I need to do in order to hook the ECT switch into this?
    I was thinking possibly insted of having the switch putting power to activate the relay, have the relay being fed power from positive ignition wire all the time, but just break the ground.
    like this diagram:
    [​IMG]

give me any thoughts you guys may have.
    thanks
    dan

2. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

The way I'd do it, is bypass the relay with the switch and leave the stock ECT the same.

3. cycloneb18c3

Well as it sits now... the fan doesnt kick on itself
    I have a switch wired in with my own wires, but i dont want to forget to turn it on, or shut if off(drain battery)
    that and the switch i have gets red hot..so i figured id wire in a relay so it all works again, and works right.

4. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

The switch needs to be of a higher amperage if it's getting red hot... the autozone F&F NAWZ switch is a no go.

5. tegboi

tegboi Junior Member

the ECT originally is suppost to supply a ground to turn it on. pretty much, the way you want it wired, is how it is wired.

minus your seperate in-cabin switch.

i've done mine the same way, i ran my own seperate wiring for it, then installed a relay, then now ditched the switch, and left it to the ECT to turn it on & off..

6. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

dont worry about forgetting the switch. ive had mine wired to a switch for about 6 months now. Forgot it day 2 at the movies, and the car still stayed on. I have not forgotten sense. You just take the keys hit the switch and get outa the car. Its like the normal routine now.

7. cycloneb18c3

well yea, as long as i wire the power to the ignition, then as soon as i turn the car off, the fan will die, reguardless of how the switch is(on or off)

well yea as long as I wire the fan to an ignition controlled wire, then it will shut off no matter what the switch position is when i turn the key off.
    thanks for all your help.
    does anyone know if that relay is hooked up correctly in my diagram(2nd one?)

8. noshow

noshow Member

or u could use the ac fan plug and leave the ac botton on it kick on when u start car kick off when u turn it off

9. GSRCIVICTN

GSRCIVICTN Lost in a sea of rednecks

The way you have it drawn out, it should work.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted