1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling System Woes

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by SlushboxTeggy, Jul 19, 2012.

1. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

I just installed a new radiator in my Integra. I'm still losing coolant and actually almost overheated this morning coming into work. In the past week I would come out to the car and see a small puddle under my car. Other times there was nothing. I can't seem to identify where the hell it's coming from. I highly doubt it's the new radiator, and both radiator hoses are still in decent shape. I'm stumped.

I'm going to check my thermostat when I get home just to make sure it's working, but even if it was stuck closed, could that cause my system to burn off coolant? Any ideas or experiences are welcome.

2. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

an open/stuck thermo wouldn't leak fluid-- you'd just have a problem warming up when its cold as it would always cycle.

If its not the rad or a hose, it's the block or some other water passage :( check your oil. is it green?

3. SlushboxTeggy

I'll check it after work. I really hope not.

4. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

Radiator & Cooling System Pressure Tester Kit

...although, if you just installed a radiator, and it wasn't losing coolant before, but it is now...you either cracked the radiator or you didn't tighten a hose down.

Why'd you replace the radiator?

5. SlushboxTeggy

I was losing coolant. The filler neck on the old radiator was cracked and I could literally hear the coolant steaming out. I guess it wasn't the only spot I was losing it.

6. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

Make sure you dont have any air pockets in the coolant, as this will cause an overheat condition, or worse... A busted head or head gasket. You need to make sure to BLEED OUT ALL THE AIR, making sure you have good heat in the cabin, and that both hoses are the same temperature...

7. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

Air pocket wouldn't cause a leak.

8. Dual-500

Dual-500 Well-Known Member VIP

This is the way to go.

Cooling system problems can be a real PITA and phuk your engine into oblivion. Trying to isolate the leak when it's running and hot can be difficult and is just too phukin dangerous to be worth it if you can't see it spewing without bending over and moving face and eyes closer.

I'm suspecting head gasket or heater core.

9. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

If there are air pockets in the cooling system, it will seem as if coolant is being lost.. But if a pre existing leak was present, and coolant keeps disappearing, without any obvious visual leaks, pull the plugs, see what condition they are in... A leaking head gasket will be VERY apparent on the plugs...

10. Dual-500

^ It will only show up on the plugs if it's leaking to the inside, and of course, not if it's leaking to the outside. They don't always let go into the cylinders or cylinder to cylinder. That is the most common failure, but they can and do leak anywhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  11. SlushboxTeggy

Got out of work at 9 last night so I didn't have time or light to check anything. Didn't have a puddle under my car when I left though, so IDK. I'll be able to check it tonight.

And I did make sure to bleed the system when I installed the new radiator.

12. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

ah, ok then, rule that out... hey, how full is the overflow tank?

13. SlushboxTeggy

It's to the max line when I fill it.

The leak is on the backside of the motor. Not the head gasket(thank ya Jesus!). The leak is lower down. It's dripping down the back corner on the oil filter side. Can't really get in there to diagnose it further though. Any ideas?

Car is coming due for a new timing belt and water pump anyway. May just have the guys at work do it for me (I don't have the time or tools). If that's not it, hopefully they find it while they're in there.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  14. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

lines on the throttlebody? heater hoses?

15. SlushboxTeggy

I'm off tomorrow and it's suppose to be nice out. I'll be able to take a more detailed look. I'm getting sick of topping off the system.

16. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

Just as an FYI...my swap wouldn't leak a drop unless the coolant was warm/hot. It would leak some after I ran it......and then stop. So, I would look (carefully....hot water make me say ouch) after you drove it for a bit. Might help you find the culprit in action and no after the fact. A hex head plug was leaking on my BNIB radiator (some universal hole for a rad switch I didn't use) thread were bad on the plug. JB Weld saved the day for me.

17. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

That's not looking good if it's leaking by the oil filter.

Only things back there are the filter, the knock sensor if your lock has one(not on ls) and the big screws with plate heads that the Endyn style catch cans had return plums to put the oil back into the block.

Ie, not a water jacket...

You may have a cracked block :(

Hopefully it's higher than that and just dropping form the IM or something else instead.

18. SlushboxTeggy

It's not actually from the filter. I more meant from the driver's side/filter side of the block. After some searching online, it seems like it is leaking from the water pump. Best case scenario in my mind because it was coming due anyway. I'll look tomorrow when I'm off, but I may also come into work just so the mechanics can get it on the lift and take a better look. If it is, nothing like getting a timing belt/water pump change for the cost of parts + a case of beer.

19. Dual-500

What about the tube that runs from the thermostat housing to water pump inlet? Is his model engine configured like that? Like any of my old D16's?

20. SlushboxTeggy

Good point. Could be the tube, the O-ring on the end of it, or the pump itself. I may just sack up and replace them all. At least the O-ring and the pump/timing belt.

EDIT: Really hope it's not the pipe. I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted