cooling system

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kingwilly

after warming up my motor i check the radiator hoses and the upper hose was hot and the lower hose was cold.is that normal?also there was a little steam coming out of the header area.would that be my head gasket?one more thing is there a way you can tell if your water pump is going bad without removing it?

The upper hose should be warmer than the lower one.

The steam is your head gasket...not good...

I think you can keep the radiator cap off and run it for a while at idle...once the thermostat opens up you should see the flow

take the radiator cap off and start the engine and if bubbles come up through the cap your HG is blown :p

alright i just drove it around again and the temp gauge got to almost halfway and the upper hose was and lower was cold,also i dont know if this would mean anything but the top of the radiator was hot and the bottom cold..someone told me its the thermostat but before i dropped the motor in i installed a mugen thermostat..unless i got a defective one..what do you peeps think?

Originally posted by kingwilly@Sep 24 2003, 04:32 PM
alright i just drove it around again and the temp gauge got to almost halfway and the upper hose was and lower was cold,also i dont know if this would mean anything but the top of the radiator was hot and the bottom cold..someone told me its the thermostat but before i dropped the motor in i installed a mugen thermostat..unless i got a defective one..what do you peeps think?

what is the temp on the mugen?

what climate are you in?

btw: how cold is the bottom hose...it should be pretty warm...if it isn't then the coolant isn't flowing through the raddy

Fluid is not flowing through the radiator at all times. The radiator is suppose to cool the fluid, so obviously its gonna be cold(on the bottom). Water flows from the top hose throught the radiator to the bottom hose.

What temp does the mungen thermostat open at? Maybe a OEM thermo. would suite your needs better. I would recomend shanging your thermostat if its over heating.

The fan should come on automatically. there should be a temp switch on your radiator.

try flushing your radiator, it sounds like it might be plugged.

did you bleed your cooling system???
-don't forget about the nipple by the alternator to get the air out of the head.
-remove rad cap, loosen nipple, add fluid until pours out of head nipple, then close nipple, start vehicle, add fluid until vehicle reaches operating temp and no bubbles come out of the rad, if it is bubbling for a long time after reaching operating temp, your head gasket is leaking.

hope that helps
:tpp:

lets see i live in arizona so it can get hot but not where im at and i got a fluidyne radiator and my question is about the fan thermoswitch..on my b16a its a sensor on the block near the alternator and it has 2 posts on it..i think thats the thermoswitch thats what a couple said.so now i gotta find out where the green/yellow wire goes to what post on the sensor then i will know where to connect the black wire,reason why i need to find that out is cuz my connector on my wire harness is f^cked up and the rubber boot that goes around it is gone so someone go and pull that boot back off the connectors look and see where the wires go..right now the yellow/green wire i have hooked up to the post on the sensor that is on the alternator side...

Back