Corn fed Evo part 2!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mike I think you are looking at afr meters calibrated for gas. Which will show you the comparative afr to gas but not the ACTUAL afr by volume that you are running. Just a guess I know e85 needs a lot lower afr cause it needs more fuel per air. It has less energy/volume.

Just my guess

Yes, they are calibrated for gas. :)

A wideband calibrated for gas that's showing the air/fuel ratio will still read 14.7 when the E85 is burning at stoichiometric- but the TRUE air/fuel ratio will be somewhere in the 9s. You can tune with a gas calibrated wideband as long as you know what you're looking at. The same lambda value for gas and ethanol will show up as completely different true air/fuel ratios.

We've got E85 at practically every gas station in the Detroit area. I thought that was the case everywhere.

I'm glad someone pointed out that while it is cheaper, gas economy suffers by generally about 10%, making it a wash in a DD.

And the gov't subsidizes the hell out of it.

I run it ONLY because I got a 70whp 60wtq gain from changing fuel alone. Race gas that ends up being the same economically as 91 octane? YES PLEASE!! :)

I run it ONLY because I got a 70whp 60wtq gain from changing fuel alone. Race gas that ends up being the same economically as 91 octane? YES PLEASE!! :)

Yeah I got your point and that makes perfect sense. lol.

The vast majority of people using it aren't in your situation. Joe Public thinking he's getting some relief in his wallet by running E85 in his Dodge Ram truck doesn't get it.

Back