Corrupt hardrive

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok, so I am defragging my harddrive. It goes on for a few hours because I am using System Mechanic, and it is very thourgh. So it comes to the end and says it can't complete because my hard drive is corrupt. But all the HDD regenerators I found, you have to use a floppy, and I don't have a floppy drive.

Is there a way around this?

I might be able to do that with the CD, but would the CD be able to run though at that point?

I guess I could add an autorun file to the CD.

You have to create the CD as a bootable CD. I assume that your HDD regerator runs outside of Windows, right? The CD would do the same thing. There isn't any need for an autorun.inf file since you're not running Winblowz.

yup. if you make the CD el-toritto, you can make it function like a floppy.

you might have to change your BIOS settings to change the boot order to:

CD [0]
HDD [1]

so that it hits the CD rom before going to the hard drive to load windows.

nero, and several other burners will allow for burning an el toritto cd. basically, it just included the basic DOS boot files.... io.sys, command.com, etc

:werd:

If you have problems making a boot image out of the floppy you need to boot from, just make a generic bootable CD with your favorite burning program, but tell it to burn the contents of the floppy you need to use as straight data onto the disc. Your computer will boot, then you can access the data files on the CD as another drive letter and run your regenerator program.

If you can't figure it out, send me the floppy image (or whatever you're using to make it) and I can make a CD image for you.

not trying to be an ass but...

unless you are a mac user, who the fuck buys a pc without a floppy drive? :shrug2:

I did, but hey, it cost me 100 so I wasn't complaining :)

Back