Cost Effective Performance Dampers?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Got a link to the 300 a set new?

Beat 239.99 shipped!

I bought the Tokico's already. I stayed up all night reading around, and though the Blues arn't necessarily ment for a drop, I've read about multiple people dropped 2 inches+ and having good experiances with them. They've got a limited lifetime manufacturer's warrenty as well. I'll have to see what exactly that covers though.

you could get k-sports... :ph34r:

I was looking at their site too, but I didn't see any damper offerings, just coilovers. Plus they're a lil outside my budget (double my budget hah). What exactly are you infering?

Comments and suggestions still welcome.

Personally I think you should just save up and then get what you really want. You'll spend less money in the end that way.

Your right, but it's just not feasible for me to get like $1,500-$2,500 to really do a nice one soon. Bottom line, sorry.

Deffinatly something I would say tho Chaz.

I picked up my PIC coilovers and PIC lcas for $900. I love the setup, doesn't have adjustability, but that really isn't something I need. Well it is possible to adjust height and stiffness obviously, but it's not really a quick job.

I would strongly recommend those to anyone looking to modify their suspension. Obviously you could spend upwards of $1,500 but what exactly is your purpose with this car? Is it going to be a track car? If not I don't really think $1,500 in suspension is really going to be needed.

Last edited:
Ya, it's going to see the track plenty. I've been doing many things this winter to prepare it for the track. Hi-strung daily driver.

My current suspension mods were supposed to just end with the cheap tein s-tech... I wasn't even looking for crazy performance right now. Just best for cheap, so I can get the car back on the road. Make some more money, swap them out in over a year. It's not like I'm doing this for just a lil bit, I'm not gonna lie, it will be a long time before I do coilovers.

Struts + Springs = I paid about 310 bucks...o well.

Last edited:
Ok I just wanted to give an update. I got my Blues delivered today. And just got through installing the rears. Time for a break so I thought I'd come into the A/C and let future purchasers know a few more things.

The warrenty
"Your Tokico warranty will be void if:
1. You lower your vehicle too far (most cars can handle 1" to 1 3/4" maximum; some trucks can be lowered over 4" depending upon method).
2. You modify the shock or strut (an example would be aftermarket adjustable spring seat collars)."
And make sure you keep your dust covers from the OE ones, as you'll need them to protect the micro-polished rod.

But I have a question (more directed to those who have Blues)...
Do I need to put a bump stop on the Blues?
It says "Do not remove or operate your vehicle without bumpstops. If you need extra suspension travel, please shorten your bumpstops."
But the problem is, on the OE struts, it's on the rod and can't be removed without cutting it off. Please LMK!

What springs are you using? I bought the Tokico basic kit that came with the shocks and 1.5" lowering springs. In the instructions for the kit it says to take the factory bump-stops and cut them in half. If your springs are a similar drop, then you should probably do the same.

Oh, and yes, like eg6sir said, don't even think about rolling without them...

Word. Deffinatly why I checked on that.

Tein S-Techs, stated -1.93" front and -1.65" rear.

Side note, it's so easy to install these multiple times that it's not even an inconvenience. Hell I don't even need a spring compressor because there's so little tension in the spring it's so short.

I went to autozone today, and all they had were energy suspension polyurathane bump stops.

And I want to know if you guys think the polyurathane could ruin the micropolish on the rod and cause premature damper valve seal wear.

Whatcha guys think?

Well I got the rear's off again today, and went to install the energy suspension bump stop, but they had an inner diameter that was too large.

And, just so you know, the bump stops CAN be removed from the OEM struts! I didn't think that silver cap that was wedged on it would come off. But my mom was like, hey they're shot, why not just hit it with a hammer and find out? Well luckly, they came off.

So in conclusion, I'll just be using the OEM bump stop because they can be removed with some gentle force.

haha, those retaining discs or w/e they might be called were wedged on so tightly, I seriously thought that they were machined on.

But, I have learned.

Yeah mine were the same way, rusted in place. I had to wack them off with a hammer too...

lol ya, it's really sad. A 2000, and 5 bolts broke in the back and 3 bushings were coroded to the bolts and destroyed...I've replaced many more things that I never inteded to just installing these springs. That's why I'm working on getting a winter car so this can be summer only; as of now I bum my mom's odyssey. Nice having friends tho, for those other times it's unavailable.

Our air sucks. Fuck the steel mills.

Cali is really smoggy in some areas.

Back