cost to paint car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seany-izzle

Can anyone give me an accurate estimate of how much it would cost to respray a car? Not changing color, just a few new coats of the stock color with clear. Im sure it would (or should) include sanding and all that. Im not looking for a $300 dollar job either. Im thinking somewhere in the area of... 1000-1500?

I dont know the first thing about painting and shit.:mellow:

yeah im thinkin more like 2k as well.. im makin a list of the things id need to do to my car in order to be happy with it instead of buying a wrx. :p

Last edited:
travis and i painted two cars for under 400 bucks in materials :)

when i painted my car and did a shit load of body work it cost $550, but that was becasue i used a good amount of body filler.
i would say a home job could be done, if you take your time, for $400 and still look good.
heck i put these stripes on in an after noon with $4 worth of wal-mart rattle cans.
3be3bd7b.jpg

we used a paint gun and got everything at an automotive paint store... dupont paints, i dont remember. it was fun :)

when i painted my car and did a shit load of body work it cost $550, but that was becasue i used a good amount of body filler.
i would say a home job could be done, if you take your time, for $400 and still look good.
heck i put these stripes on in an after noon with $4 worth of wal-mart rattle cans.
3be3bd7b.jpg
and you can tell its a wal mart job

and you can tell its a wal mart job

maybe you didn't hear me, $4.
372bc462.jpg

looks damn straight to me, tape and time (some would call this patience) make paint look good. Using automotive paint is good for durability but rattle cans work, there are just less consistant and are not adjustable like a spray gun is. Personally i would do the walmart job again on a different car, sport compact car did a whole wrx in flat rattle black, must've been rough, when painting a whole car it's easy to get dust in the way.

Last edited:
a stock paint job is about 500 at maco. if you do it your self it will cost 100 with clear. use a paint called dupont croma. This paint it not a top of the line but mid line and lase down nicely. Next go to the autobody supply and ask for the white can clear. Most stock a lcheapo clear, and you can get 2 liter of clear with hardner for 25 bucks.

paint cost more than that in the states
and you still pay about 20 a qt for black and 60qt for red chroma base dupont and if you want it to look good donr skimp on the clear

no it won't its cheaper down there. If i can do it for 150 it can be done for 100 down there. The brands I stated cost less in the us cause they get shipped up here \.

you can not paint any car with chromabase for 100 bucks no way. a mixed quart starts at 67.00 and goes up depending on color. then basemaker cost 18.00 a quart. noway on red for 60.00. i think its around 100.00 qt but im not at work right now tomorrow i can give the correct price

Last edited:
well i know that you can get red for 60 i just did it it was like 62.?? but any ways there is no way you can paint a car for 150. hell you will spend 150 on prep supplies if you have never done this sort of thing b4

dude i mix and sell it all day and if you used anything but the correct basemaker you jeoparized you paint job because chromabase is designed to use a reactive reduce which makes the base stronger. so saving a couple bucks really isnt worth it when you mix two different companys together

Back