Could The IACV Do This?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
Ok, so my buddy picked up an EG hatch with a pretty fresh B16 swap, looks like it was all done right. I was pretty impressed, for the quality of swapped cars I usually see lol. Anyways, recently it started acting up at idle, so I thought that it might be the IACV. But, he says when it has a little episode, it surges in gear. I took the car out for a little while, but it didnt do it to me so I cant describe any better than that lol. Also, it gets an intermittent CEL. It doesnt flash, it just comes on for a little while and shuts off for a little while. So, could the IACV do all this? what else should I look for?

Also, cant I just look at the LED on the ECU and count the flashes to get the code that its throwin?

Ok so, how far up the harness is the plug with the brown and black wires?

I finally got to look at the car and its got a P30 ECU. Drove it around for ~30 minutes, no CEL. The car did die once tho. Still no CEL. And it wasnt priming the injectors when I tried to restart it. So, maybe the main relay?

the plug should be under the dash or behind the carpet, close to the ecu. mine had a blu plug on it..take a breadtie, remove a lil platic from each end of that tie, and use it to jump the 2 connectors on that plug while the key is off. then hop in the driver seat, with a pen and ppaper...turn on the key but dont start the car, watch the check engine light, it will flash. one long flash means 10, shorts flashes mean 1. add up the number of flashes you see and post results. if it flashes the same number over and over, you have 1 code, if you get a different set of numbers everytime, keep writing them down til you get the first number you wrote down again. remember, 1 long flash is 10, 1 short flash is 1, so if you get 3 long flashes and 3 short ones, u have code 33. try it and post results, then we can help you from there...

The smaller plug under the dash on the right of the glove box is the service plug that you jump. Also, listen for the main relay to come on under the dash by you left foot. If it doesn't have a series of clicks....it could be bad. They supposedly get worse when they get warm. My was bad and wouldn't allow a re-start after it only sat a few minutes (like getting gas). I would have to wait 15+ minutes.

the plug should be under the dash or behind the carpet, close to the ecu. mine had a blu plug on it..take a breadtie, remove a lil platic from each end of that tie, and use it to jump the 2 connectors on that plug while the key is off. then hop in the driver seat, with a pen and ppaper...turn on the key but dont start the car, watch the check engine light, it will flash. one long flash means 10, shorts flashes mean 1. add up the number of flashes you see and post results. if it flashes the same number over and over, you have 1 code, if you get a different set of numbers everytime, keep writing them down til you get the first number you wrote down again. remember, 1 long flash is 10, 1 short flash is 1, so if you get 3 long flashes and 3 short ones, u have code 33. try it and post results, then we can help you from there...

Sweet, thanks.

The smaller plug under the dash on the right of the glove box is the service plug that you jump. Also, listen for the main relay to come on under the dash by you left foot. If it doesn't have a series of clicks....it could be bad. They supposedly get worse when they get warm. My was bad and wouldn't allow a re-start after it only sat a few minutes (like getting gas). I would have to wait 15+ minutes.

That sounds pretty close to whats goin on. This may be the problem.

Back