Could use a little advise with my swap...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

avblueshark

Just yanked the d16z6 out of my 94 eg si and will be putting in my new b16a2, freshly rebuilt for boost.

I have a tranny question. Obviously, the old trans. was a cable tranny. Why go through the trouble of converting a hydro to cable? Couldn't I just get a cable tranny?

Secondly, I'm curious to see peoples opinions on what transmission I should choose. I'm shooting for 300whp. I'll of course need a LSD. Not a lot of drag racing. Just a fun Colorado mountain pass car.:D Again, just opinions are what I'm looking for. Money is not really an issue. What set-up would YOU go with?

I have searched. Quite a lot actually. There is so much info out there, it's hard to find a relevent answer. Thanks!

you wouldnt' convert a hydro to cable, simply get a hydro tranny.

most people are totally happy with an ITR tranny. it would solve any issues of going hydro, plus giving you lsd.

if you get an aftermarket lsd, you would need a hydro tranny. thus costing twice as much.

sell your cable tranny. buy an ITR tranny and slap it on your engine. no mods needed.

Yeah, I got a little backwards there. Hydro tranny it is. I was thinking CTR or ITR tranny anyways. I think the only diff is the final drive, right? ITR has a longer final drive?

yeah, it's a little longer. CTR is hard to find and will cost a little more. ITR is a big upgrade for people who don't want to do an all out tranny build.

I've always wondered about the LSD in these. Seems as though some are prone to failure after power upgrades. Think it'll be fine with my power needs @ around 300whp?

i think it would be ok. but if you invest $6000 in a full build, might as well go all out on a drive train and get something aftermarket.

i use a b16 trans and with the 4.4 FD i can go through gears very quickly, sometimes skipping 2nd and 4th, i thkn a ITR trans would be to short for a turbo build, what that point of boosting if all you do is shift?

shorter gears = faster acceleration

if not then you need to work on traction
300whp + itr trans + LSD = win

i have a 320whp ek hatch with a b16 trans and lsd. the gears are definitely not too short. at all.

Back