Coupe DX build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Do you have access to compressed air? I found that by far the easiest way to remove that thing is to use an air hammer. Literally took 5 seconds to pound out.

Got the old motor pulled out but hit a snag when getting ready to drop the d16z6 in.

The d16Z6 came with powersteering and my car the dx didnt. not sure if this has any thing to do with it. But anyway I went to put the driver side mount from the DX(d15B7) onto the D16Z6 and it turns out the mount bracket thats on the d16z6 is diffrent then whats on the d15b7 so my mount didnt fit on the bracket so not sure if i need to find another bracket and from what kind of car? I also tried to put the d15b7 mount on the d16z6 but the timing cover didnt fit right.
????

here is a pic of the 2 mount brackets. left is the DX and the right is from the d16z6
problem is one is wider then the other.

dscf0198o.jpg

Last edited:
I think I can swap the brackets then just trim/cut the timing cover until it fits? Any one have to do this before.

Anyway here is a shot of the motor coming out haha.

dscf0196.jpg

Yeah, people have done that before... just make sure nothing gets dropped in through the hole in the cover.

Well I got the motor in the car and every thing hooked up. I get fuel but no spark. I am getting some kind of engine code but it flashes so fast along with the srs light that I am having a hard time reading it.

Some one told me its because I am using the d16z6 dizzy with the dx ECU and that well cause me to not have spark?

EDIT well I am gonna go try to get it to run. Have no idea what the problem is but we will see.

Last edited:
Got it all sorted out and fixed. 1 plug was half way out!!!. Runs great drove it 40 miles home.

Thanks for all the help. Will load up a bunch of pics.

Alright I figured i'd post a few pics of what went on during the weekend. Overall it was pretty smooth we just took our time. It was pretty cool to have my girl helping aswell. I wish we could have got it a little cleaner but I am still cleaning things up.

Heres a before of the engine bay.

DSCF0197.jpg

AFTER

DSCF0199.jpg

Here is a photo of the D16z6 in.

DSCF0208.jpg

Figured i'd give a little update even know not many are interested. So far I picked up a set of megan headers...and waiting for my cold air intake to come in. I am at a toss up with the project right now. Not sure if I just wanna stop with I/H/E and start a new project.

If I do start a new project I think I am going to pick up a hatch and boost it.

Thanks guys... I guess I am just up in air with what I want. At first I thought I wanted a daily driver with some pep... The swap went well and I already have a exhaust system and headers now. Just waiting on the cold air. I mean isnt that about it as far as bolt ons?

I mean I know I can start working on the body work and suspension but I been seriously thinking about picking up a clean hatch shell and droping in a JDM d15 and boost it to 6 psi or so. what can I say I am addicted!!! LOL.

1 project leads to another and so on.

You can still upgrade the intake manifold, get a more aggressive camshaft (not really a bolt-on, more a bolt-in) and an adjustable cam gear, then tune the hell out of it. You can probably get close to 150whp if you're lucky.

You can still upgrade the intake manifold, get a more aggressive camshaft (not really a bolt-on, more a bolt-in) and an adjustable cam gear, then tune the hell out of it. You can probably get close to 150whp if you're lucky.

Thanks I am gonna check into the intake manifold is there any you advise? If I could get close to 150 i'll be happy.

There are two that eat up most of the market on the D series- the Skunk2 and the Edelbrock Victor-X. Most people accept the Victor-X as being better for high flow setups like forced induction, and the Skunk2 for all motor apps. Do some research. There are probably more options out there now too.

150whp would require REALLY good tuning. It's doable without going inside the block, but unlikely.... although you can get close... maybe. 150whp means a 50hp gain at the crank. Now I think about it, that's pretty damn optimistic. Maybe 140? Who knows. Good luck.

There are two that eat up most of the market on the D series- the Skunk2 and the Edelbrock Victor-X. Most people accept the Victor-X as being better for high flow setups like forced induction, and the Skunk2 for all motor apps. Do some research. There are probably more options out there now too.

150whp would require REALLY good tuning. It's doable without going inside the block, but unlikely.... although you can get close... maybe. 150whp means a 50hp gain at the crank. Now I think about it, that's pretty damn optimistic. Maybe 140? Who knows. Good luck.

Ok thanks.. Anyway a small updates. I am waiting on hearing back from a guy about a EX transmission... I decided to go with it because ive heard they have stronger shift forks then the d16z6 tranny and all gears are the same but 5th gear.

Back