1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

couple of Q's bout LSVTEC...

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by hybrid89, Mar 12, 2004.

1. hybrid89

hybrid89 thistownsucks...

alright..check it..couple of things I am trying to figure out while purchasing the odds and ends for my LS Vtec. one, I've seen oil line kits that feed from the oil pump as opposed to running some sort of "T" from the sending unit or running a pancake setup such as Golden Eagle makes. I've pretty much decided to buy the Golden Eagle conversion kit to make it clean and easy, but would there be an advantage using a feed line direct from the pump to the head? Second, I just picked up my z10 lower block girdle for the bottom end. I know that I need to run a GSR pickup and windage tray, but is there a difference in the oil pan? From what I know, all B-series pans where the same. let me know what y'all think.

matt

2. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

i used an LS and a b16 oil pan on an lsvtec before. so as far as i know.. no difference.

3. hybrid89

its diffrent when using a lower girdle. the windage tray and oil pickup do clear, but I still don't know about the oil pan.

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

the b16 windage tray won't clear the gsr girlde.
    also the pickup cutout in it is in the wrong position.
    the pans are a little differen't as well, but the bolts on the bottom of the block shoudl line up.

5. hybrid89

thats what I thought, but what about the oil feed line coming from the oil pump as opposed to the block(like usual)?

matt

6. UDT

UDT Senior Member

I have done quite a bit of research about this build and never heard anything about runing a line directly from the pump, that would mean you would have to tap the pump some how and then find a way to get at it seeingas how its coverd by the oil pan. There have never been any real oiling problems wit h the sandwitch/Tfitting set up, so i would just keep it simple the tride and true way, basicly the ways thats been tested and known to work.

This build is good but still does not have the oil squirters like Vtec blocks so even though the setup can now rev to 8k rpm its not exactly safe for the motor to do it and if you didint upgrade to Vtec pistons and such then all the more reason to not go up to 8k rpm and tapping the pump directly wouldint alleviate the squirter problem so in my mind it just seems pointless i cant think of why some one would want to do that? :shrug:

7. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Oil squirters aren't necessary... quite a few people who race actually remove the oil squirters from their B blocks to reduce windage losses. If you're running aftermarket forged pistons, you don't have to worry about squirters at all. Even with OEM cast pistons, you'll be fine. Just make sure your valvetrain can handle the higher revs and you'll be ok.

8. hybrid89

CTR pistons .25 over on Eagle rods, fully blueprinted and balanced bottom end with an N1 honda single pulley and an ACT 12.5 Streetlite flywheel. Block is posted on top and Z10 girdle on the bottom. GSR head with all skunk2 valve train(including valves,P and P, 5 angle valve job, etc. etc). I am building this bitch to last. No money spared(for the most part). Oh yeah I am also runiing a Greddy oil cooler.

So I will stick with the Golden Eagle kit as far as the oil and I definately need a GSR windage tray, oil pickup, and pan..Right?

matt

9. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Sounds good. You are correct on the oil pan parts.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted