CPU help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chestercheeto48

VIP
I am wondering what the best way is to delete old internet files, cookies, and histories. I know that when you just do the basic "delete cookies" and "erase history" that anyone can get it back. I have a buddy who is giving away his computer and wants to make sure he can keep that stuff gone for good.

control panel / internet options/ general
after you clear what you can from that tab got to the program tab and hit "reset web settings"

thats what i do

If he is getting rid of it, the best thing to do would be to use something like DiskScrubber, and completely delete everything, then reinstall Windows for the next person.

if he uses netscape, there is a profile folder that is kept.

C:\Documents and Settings\LOGON_NAME_HERE\Application Data\Mozilla

blow that out

I wrote a VB prog that generated a batch file and a registry file, and erased almost everything as far as Internet traces from IE.
But he needs to boot into DOS and delete the .DAT file inside the temp folder, that holds a list of 'every' url he has ever been to :blink:

Yea, unless you really know what you're doing, most everything can be recovered form one of the many places info is stored, if only pieces, but still. Hence why scrubbing the drive is the best idea.

There's also registry mods you can make, where Windows will do it all for you, but you REALLY need to know what your doing when modifing the registry, especially if you want a working copy of Windows left on it.

yea, everything he said is true, there is alot of things that could go wrong if he doesnt know what he is doing, but there is always
google for that :lol:

WindowsWasher (webroot.com) is the best tool to do what you are asking. But it does cost 30 bucks if you want to use it after the first 30 days.

Originally posted by reikoshea@May 16 2005, 04:10 PM
WindowsWasher (webroot.com) is the best tool to do what you are asking. But it does cost 30 bucks if you want to use it after the first 30 days.
[post=499931]Quoted post[/post]​

Haha, you said "it cost" haha

:ph34r:

Originally posted by 92b16vx+May 16 2005, 01:38 PM-->
reikoshea
@May 16 2005, 04:10 PM
WindowsWasher (webroot.com) is the best tool to do what you are asking.  But it does cost 30 bucks if you want to use it after the first 30 days.
[post=499931]Quoted post[/post]​

Haha, you said "it cost" haha

:ph34r:
[post=500088]Quoted post[/post]​

WindowsWasher sucks. Paying for utility software sucks even more.

lol, well people still pay for Norton when they can get AVG for free...People still pay for Firewalls when they can get Windows Firewall which is just as effective at preventing trojans and remote access as blackice (if you keep it updated).

Back