cr/vtec running rough - HELP!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I just swapped a gsr head onto a b20b block. Aside from the intake manifold being the shittiest thing ever, it runs like shit. It idles just fine, and revvs up in neutral like normal. But, when I am actually driving it, it feels bogged down. No power at all. I haven't wired the vtec yet, and I am still running the LS ecu, but I thought it would run like the b20 did before the swap. Do I have to wire the vtec for this to work right, or am I missing something else???

There are way too many variables & that is why no one is going to help you at this point. Also, we have hardly any info on the car/engine years/obd, history of parts & whether or not it was assembled correctly or what have you. Your best bet would be, finish wiring, wire vtec, get a GSR ecu or whatever appropiate ecu for your application & see if its doing the samething & throwing a cel. If so, pull the CEL, give us a little bit more info & a history.

+1.
You ask a question, then get the answer you don't want, and give us the answer you want us to think.
If you have missing anything/wires/etc it can affect shit any way it wants to...
Do you have the map and TPS plugs mixed up?
When i run a GSR ecu on my b16 it runs like shit, at all rpms less than 6500... so it CAN make a difference.
Every engine is different and running the LS ecu on my car would make it run like shit i bet.

If you want to know more about the car, ask. I didn't give any answer that i wanted to hear. I read in one of the writeups that you can run an LS ecu to break it in, so I figured it wouldn't make any difference. I'm not trying to be a dick here. I am just getting desperate, because the first race of the season is saturday, and I don't want to miss it. The map/tps plugs aren't mixed up (they are still labeled from when I didn't the b20 swap).

Here's what I got: b20b bottom, gsr head and intake, type r tranny, currently running OBDII but am in the process of switching to OBDI, and it's a 96 hatch. Everything is hooked up but the vtec (which I will do tonight).

I did just notice this - the vtec oil supply line to the head is touching the fuel line to the rail at the banjo bolt. I bet that the hot oil is heating the fuel. That will make it run like shit too, right?

It definitely won't help. Go over all your connections again and make sure you don't have any more small details uncovered- then try again. Your problem just might go away once you have everything all sorted out.

Your compression and displacement might also be too high for the LS ECU to handle without tuning, especially with all the OBD2 sensors feeding it.

May the Luck of the VTEC GODS be bestowed upon thou, thine, art, shalt kill what?...thither LOOK! CANDY BARS!! OMG sugar rush to the MAX

i did that with mine then i got the ecu and vtec wired up it ran perfect! i dont know why but i dont think the ls ecu, likes the gsr head!

Back