cracked h22 sleeve?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

powerdriverh22

I am curious to know how many people on here have cracked an h22 sleeve. Or have scared the cylinderwalls beyond recognition. if you have please post your set up. thanks :mrgreen:

no one i would guess. most people have enough sense not to put a forged slug in with a frm sleeve.

the sleeves themselves are actually quite strong. youd have loose a piston ring to REALLY crack or scar it with a cast piston.

the first hint of oil burning (more than the normal qt every 3 months) id stop driving. Wiseco openly admits that their piston will effe your walls up if you put them on in a cylinder with FRM sleeves.

I dont see Mahle's doing that much better. Thats my personally opinion though. the only piston i have heard of working is JUN's and i think their's is cast.

Quoted post[/post]]
the first hint of oil burning (more than the normal qt every 3 months) id stop driving. Wiseco openly admits that their piston will effe your walls up if you put them on in a cylinder with FRM sleeves.

I dont see Mahle's doing that much better. Thats my personally opinion though. the only piston i have heard of working is JUN's and i think their's is cast.
AS you probably know there was a huge discussion on h-t about the Mahle's in an h22, but I haven't heard of JUN, do they supposedly work fine with the FRM sleeve?

yes, there is no supposedly there though. their piston DOES work, but it is not a forged piston.

probably not. Forged pistons are used because of their heat resistance, and they like to stay in the correct shape (part of heat resistance).

basically, cast is the opposite (OEM pistons are cast, just FYI)

Quoted post[/post]]
probably not. Forged pistons are used because of their heat resistance, and they like to stay in the correct shape (part of heat resistance).

basically, cast is the opposite (OEM pistons are cast, just FYI)

so then why would they make an aftermarket piston (jun). is their piston just an oem replacement?

i unno. i just work here. but from what i hear on absolute prelude, the JUN piston is the only thing proven to work with FRM sleeves, but im quite sure they are cast.

i think im reading that this sight is trying to prove that running a forged piston doesnt damage an frm sleeve. experience has show with the b20a and the h22 that running a forged slug will cause the engine to eat itself.

Supposedly they also make forged pistons for porshe who use the same frm material made by safill for their engines so i guess you would need to talk to the engineers at mahle. There is also a thread over at honda-tech about using mahle pistons with frm sleeves and success with 15+lbs of boost for over 10k miles.

Last edited:
Back